GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

How do you replace the timing chain/belt on a 2002 chevy trailblazer?

how do you replace the timing chain/belt on a 2002 chevy trailblazer?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 6 years ago.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.

GM Tech (Cam) :

This is not a simple process. You would need to take the front diff out, the oil pan then the front cove and valve cover just to get at this.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Can I ask why you are looking, just for maintenance?

The chain is very difficult to replace, it requires removal of the oil pan, front cover and valve cover. There is no need to replace it as it is a lifetime chain.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i have had a service engine light on and the I am not for sure what exact code was thrown out but they said it was either a sensor for the timing belt or the timing belt. I have access to a shop with the adequate tools to fix it I just do not know how.
It is likely the cam phaser that is into the passengers front head or the sensors in the front. There is the off chance it is the actuator itself which is incorporated into the exhaust cam shaft, what is the exact code?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
On the estimate sheet that they gave me the only thing that I can find that may be a code is poo14, p1345....I am not sure if this is helpful or not. there was also this number 5312 C
That is likely the phaser. Take it out and see there are screens on three of the ports. This is held I with a single bolt at the passengers front.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what does it look like and where is it exactly located? How will I know if it needs replaced?
It is a cylinder device with a couple wires. It is 2 around and 3 long. If there are not 3 screens or debris then replace it. I suspect it will need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

will i have to remove anything to get to it or will it be pretty obvious as to what it is?

It is out in the open so nothing to remove.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
okay, thank you... we will see how it goes.
Ok. Please click accept to finish this off. If you need, you can reply after for followup.