GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Chevy Venture: Van..heater fan stopped blowing. No heat and no AC.

I have a 2003 Extended Chevy Venture Van. The heater fan stopped blowing. No heat and no AC. where is the heater motor on this car and how do we check to see if that is the problem?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 6 years ago.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.

GM Tech (Cam) :

The blower motor is under the passengers side of the dash. You will need to remove a trim panel under the dash to get at it.

Customer:

Hi Cam.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Hi, did you see the location I posted for the blower?

Customer:

Last week after I started the car the heater motor stopped running for a second then clicked back on. Today the heater will not come on and neither will the AC. We checked the fuses and they seem fine. The fan does not run at all. I saw your post.

Customer:

We have not checked for the blower yet on the car.

Customer:

my husband is checking for the trim panel right now.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Ok, does he have a test light?

Customer:

yes he does..he wants to know if the trim panel just snaps off.

GM Tech (Cam) :

This is the one under and there are a couple push pin retainers that he will need to pull out.

Customer:

ok..then what

GM Tech (Cam) :

Then the blower motor is under there, use the test light to see if there is power getting to themotor.

Customer:

How do you pull the pins out?

Customer:

If there is power getting to the motor what does that mean?

GM Tech (Cam) :

small crow bar. THis is the trim under the bottom that almost looks liek carpet.

GM Tech (Cam) :

That would mean the blower motor is bad.

Customer:

ok. We will try to check the motor. If this does not work may we contact you again?

GM Tech (Cam) :

Yes you may.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Bookmark this page so you can easily navigate back to it, and so you know, you can reply at any time for follow up information regarding this issue, even after you accept my answer and I will reply.

Customer:

ok thankyou..we will try to get the trim out and check motor now.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Ok

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
We checked the blower motor, no power getting to it. What do we check now?
Check at the coloured wires into the resistor beside the blower motor. Remember the key must be on and the switch in different positoins.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

What is the resistor?

It is the device that changes the speeds. Power comes to it in the different wires and it sends the power through different resistors to get the different speeds.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

What is the resistor? What does it look like..is it part of the blower motor?

It is mounted just behind the blower motor and to the left with a 6 pin conenctor going to it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

What is the resistor? What does it look like..is it part of the blower motor? Is the resistor right next to the blower motor? I saw a little box with several wires going to it behind the blower motor. do we unhook those wires to check them?

Yes that is the resistor and you do test those wires.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

we have a tester that has a sharp pointed end on the end of a wire the other end of the wire has an alligator clamp. Do we put the clamp on a ground and then stab the wires individually until you find power?

Pull the conenctor off and gently touch the ends of the terminals with the clip to ground, don't pierce the insulation.

If you can tough the back side of the terminal then ok.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

What is toughing the back side of the terminal mean?

Touch, The terminals are the metal part in the connector that connect to the wire and then make contact in the connector. Some times you can tough the back side of these with the connector still plugged in.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
<p>ok we are going to try that. If there is still no power what does it mean? and if there is power what does that mean?  There are seven wires.</p>
Power to there means the resistor is bad, no power means the switch in the dash or something else up there.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

ok we are going to test them.

ok