Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

2011 camaro ss: manual transmission fluid..gm..synthetic..whats

i have a 2011 camero...
i have a 2011 camero ss with 6 speed manual transmission. it calls for manual transmission fluid gm part # XXXXX what type of fluid is this? dexron 111 or dexron v1. the reason i ask, i want to change out my transmission fluid with a synthetic fluid and need to know what is compatable with whats in it now. can you recommend any synthetic fluids?
1/19/2011
JHoop
JHoop, Chevy Technician
Hello , my name is XXXXX XXXXX thank you for choosing justanswer.com. Please tell me all the problem as my answers are based on the information you provide.

GM Dexron VI is the correct fluid for the 6 speed manual trans. It is also a full synthetic fluid. Amsoil is by far the best and is also a full synthetic.

If you have any more questions or need diagrams or service info, please don't hesisitate to ask If this answer helped you, please click ACCEPT.

Please leave positive feedback. As you can see I have excellent ratings in all my categories. Please remember I am not at the vehicle, Please don't leave a negative report. Thanks again, JHoop

Edited by JHoop on 1/19/2011 at 7:51 PM EST
who do i go with , this is a question i asked 2 people and got 2 different answers on your site.
Who was the other expert? Send me a link to the answer?
i think his name was cam
I got my info from my GM dealer. Dexron 3 has been replaced by Dexron 6 for ALL applications.
i can not accept your answer at this time, i also called 3 chevy dealers and two of them couldnot answer my question and one told me 75-90 gl-5 and i know thats not right. what is wrong here? when you can not get a stright answer from a chevy dealership who is suppose too know these things. something is just not right.
So something is just not right.Keep UR $ HMMMMMMMMM WANNA RACE FOR PINKS?graphic
Hal
Hal, Chevy Master Tech

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX Your complete satisfaction is my goal. Please provide as much information about your concern as you can.

Part # XXXXX Is not synthetic. it is DEX 3 relabeled as manual transmission /transfer case fluid.

Here is the description from the doc(NNN) NNN-NNNNdescribing dex lV when it first came out in 06

The content of this bulletin does not apply to manual transmissions or transfer cases. Any vehicle that previously required DEXRON®-III for a manual transmission or transfer case should now use P/N 88861800. This fluid is labeled Manual Transmission and Transfer Case Fluid.

If you want to use a synthetic, then use Amsoil, as J Hoop suggested. It is the best synthetic on the market.

There are two 6 speed transmissions that are available.

which one do you have, ???

• Manual Transmission - Aisin AY6
  • Manual Transmission - Tremec 6-Speed
  •  

The tremec takes the part number you gave 88861800

the AisinAY6 takes

GL-5 SAE 75W-90 .

May be it would be a good idea to provide the VIN number to make sure of the application you have. That way option numbers can be checked to give you the correct answer you are looking for.

Or you can look at the tag on the transmission, Here are two examples

Aisin AY6

graphic

Tremec transmission

graphic

If you need more information, let me know.

Hal

my vin # XXXXX 2G1FT1EW5B9117109

Your transmission RPO code is M 10 This is a tremec transmission, and the fluid number 88861800 is the correct part number fluid for your transmission.

M10

Transmission - Manual 6 Speed, Tremec, 85mm, 3.01 1st, 0.84 5th, 0.57 6th, O/D

Manual Transmission Fluid GM P/N 88861800 (Canadian P/N 88861801)

3.45 liters

3.65 quarts

When filled, fluid level should be at the bottom of the fluid check plug hole.

This fluid is not synthetic, it is dex 3 relabeled as manual transmission fluid /transfercase fluid.

If I were looking for a synthetic fluid, I would use Amsoil.

Thank You

Hal

Hal
    Hal, Chevy Master Tech
    Hal
    Hal
    Hal, Chevy Master Tech