Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Chevy Diagnostics
18617752

Chevrolet 1500 2004 chevy suburban with oil pressure gauge

2004 chevy suburban with oil pressure gauge problem.
Driving down the road and gauge is off the chart and pegged. No leaks or engine problems. Is gauge broke or something else.. What should i look for.. And yes there is oil.

Can you give me engine size?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
good question... its under a foot of snow right know.... i'm at work and will try to get outside and check paperwork. I just picked up car other day and really havent written down necessary info...I think it is 5.3 l , does that sound right.

(I know the feeling, still snowing here in New England as well!)

Yes- the 5.3L is the most common engine size.

Ok- there are a couple of things that can cause this:

As long as you are not hearing any unusual engine noises (ticking, knocking, etc) then a faulty Oil Pressure sensor can "peg out" the gauge if the internal resistance has failed. This is a fairly common fail item, and cheap and easy enough to replace.

graphic

The other thing can cause this is a faulty gauge. If this is the case- the Instrument Panel is under Extended Warranty. If the vehicle has less than 70,000 miles, the updated panel and labor are Free. If the vehicle has over 70,000 miles, the updated panel is Free, however the cost of labor (about an hour) will be your responsibility.

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
sitting in plot reading 40.. and no noises when driving.

I'd look into the pressure sensor first, then the instrument panel.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
FYI had sensor replaced other day and gauge worked fine for about 3hrs and now pegged again.. Reading letter u sent states 7yrs up to 70,000 miles free. Doesnt say anything about over 70,000 miles.. Vehicle is obviously 7 yrs since its a 2004. What info can i bring to dealer to get the panel replaced and only pay labor.....I checked recalls for car and found none about instrument cluster panel.

If over 70,000 miles the paenl is Free, but you must pay for labor. It will not be listed as a recall, it is an "Extended Warranty". You can bring the "owner's letter" that i sent above, and here is the official GM warranty service bulletin:

# XXXXX: Special Coverage Adjustment - Instrument Panel Cluster Gauge Needle Function - (Mar 20, 2009)

Models:
2003-2004 CADILLAC ESCALADE, ESCALADE ESV, ESCALADE EXT
2005 CADILLAC ESCALADE, ESCALADE ESV, ESCALADE EXT (U.S. ONLY)
2003-2004 CHEVROLET AVALANCHE, SILVERADO, SUBURBAN, TAHOE
2005 CHEVROLET AVALANCHE, SILVERADO, SUBURBAN, TAHOE (U.S.ONLY)
2003-2004 GMC SIERRA, YUKON, YUKON XL
2005 GMC SIERRA, YUKON, YUKON XL (U.S. ONLY)

CUSTOMERS ARE BEING INSTRUCTED TO CONTACT THE DEALERSHIP TO ARRANGE AN APPOINTMENT IF THEY BELIEVE THEIR VEHICLE HAS THIS CONDITION. THE CUSTOMER IS BEING ASKED TO PROVIDE THE VIN SO THE IPC CAN BE ORDERED IN ADVANCE OF THE SCHEDULED APPOINTMENT. THIS WILL ELIMINATE THE NEED TO KEEP THE VEHICLE OVERNIGHT. DEALERS ARE TO OBTAIN THE VEHICLE MILEAGE WHEN SCHEDULING A SERVICE APPOINTMENT. THE VEHICLE MILEAGE WILL BE REQUIRED WHEN PLACING AN ORDER FOR THE IPC.