GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

2000 Chevy: Z71..transmission problems..a recall on this model truck

My 2000 Chevy Z71 is having transmission problems. Is there a recall on this model truck?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 6 years ago.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Recall for the transmission, no.

GM Tech (Cam) :

What is the engine size?

JACUSTOMER-is2epxgj- :

V8

GM Tech (Cam) :

Yes, but a 5.3, 5.7, 6.0

JACUSTOMER-is2epxgj- :

I bought the truck used. The previous owner had just had the transmission rebuilt. Warranty was still good according to mileage. BUT the warranty was void because of it changing owners. Two weeks after I bought the truck the transmission would not go into drive or 3rd gear. I took it to the mechanic and he put a used transmission in for me. Three weeks later the transmission would went out. Took it back to shop and he replaced the rear end, transfer case, transmission... got it out of the shop Friday. Today the gears are slipping. I do not know if it is a 5.3, 5.7. or 6.0.

GM Tech (Cam) :

What is the 8th digit of your VIn?

JACUSTOMER-is2epxgj- :

T

GM Tech (Cam) :

That is a 4L60E transmission and if I may be honest, you would have been far ahead if you just replaced it. These are only 2100 for the transmission from GM and they have a 3 year, 100000 mile warranty.

JACUSTOMER-is2epxgj- :

Yes but it's too late for that now. I just paid the mechanic 3220. last Friday.

JACUSTOMER-is2epxgj- :

And 1650 three weeks before.

GM Tech (Cam) :

If it is slipping again, you should have warranty on it, no?

JACUSTOMER-is2epxgj- :

Did not get the warranty last time because he said the rear end was causing the transmission problems. My son-in-law told me tonight that a co-worker had the exact same truck and the exact same problems. That is why I thought there might be a recall.

GM Tech (Cam) :

The transmission is common on these, but no recall. Myself. I have stopped rebuilding these and just replace them. YOu mean to say that they will not give you and warranty after a week?

JACUSTOMER-is2epxgj- :

He would not last time because he said the rear end was the problem. I am taking it back tomorrow morning and see if he will fix it again.

GM Tech (Cam) :

That sounds shadey,

JACUSTOMER-is2epxgj- :

I forgot to mention that he took it for a test drive last Thursday and the transmission came out while he was test driving it.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Did you feel it before giving him the work?

JACUSTOMER-is2epxgj- :

He was recommended by several people. We do not have a lot of choice in this small town,

GM Tech (Cam) :

I mean I have had the odd one give out on a test drive, but unless I am missing something, this sounds fishey.

JACUSTOMER-is2epxgj- :

He called and said it was ready to be picked up... He took it for a test drive before I got there to get it... Transmission came out while he was driving it so he had to re-do it.

GM Tech (Cam) :

I would be cautious, this sounds bad.

JACUSTOMER-is2epxgj- :

I just wondered if something is wrong with the 2000 Z71 models??

GM Tech (Cam) :

The input housing is poorly designed and most of the time, they need to be replaced to properly fix it, but the cost of all that makes the rebuilt one cheaper.

JACUSTOMER-is2epxgj- :

So, are you saying the transmission will just keep coming out unless I take it to a Chevy Dealer and pay to get it rebuilt?

GM Tech (Cam) :

NO, don't pay GM, get a GM rebuilt one, 3 year, 100000 mile warranty even if you put it in.

JACUSTOMER-is2epxgj- :

And where do I get one?

GM Tech (Cam) :

Any GM shop

JACUSTOMER-is2epxgj- :

Is that a Chevy Dealer?

GM Tech (Cam) :

Yes.

JACUSTOMER-is2epxgj- :

OK thank you.

GM Tech (Cam) :

They will want your VIN to register the warranty but it is worth it.

JACUSTOMER-is2epxgj- :

Ok.. I will take it with me. Thanks.