Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

How do i repair a P1481 Troble code on an 02 trailblazer

Answered in 1 minute by:
12/25/2010
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

Is your truck a 2wd or a 4wd?

XXXXX
this code is set when the pcm detects the radiator fan is not spinning as fast as it is commanded to. The pcm controls the sped of the fan by varying the voltage and ground to it. When the pcm is telling the fan to spin at say 1200 rpms and the fan only spins 900 the code is set so you know there is a problem.
how do it reset the fan to or the clutch to repair the problem
The fan is the electric fan on the radiator. All you have to do is unplug the fan and replace the whole fan assembly. Then reset the codes for the pcm.
In looking at your answer. Then fan is running fast, sounds like a jet engine. i replaced the water pump. This is when the code came on. can it be reset with out the cost of the fan assembly as there was nothing wrong with it before
If the mechanical fan sounds like a jet plain then all you have to replace will be the fan clutch and not the electric fan. If the clutch has locked up it will make the sound you have described and will make the electric fan spin when it is not suppose to spin or make it spin faster then commanded to. You will need to pull the clutch fan off, and replace the clutch. then you can rest the pcm codes and they should not return. i am sorry i did not ask if the mechanical fan was working correctly as most often the electric fan is at fault for this problem.
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
kalamykid
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech