Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

2000 chevy s10 4x4: wont start..the fuel filter..cam sensor..tps

Customer Question
My 2000 chevy s10 4x4...
My 2000 chevy s10 4x4 cranks but won't start, it had a random misfire code that was cleared and now it acts like it is flooded and won't start...it has good fuel pressure and a weak spark...so far i have replaced the fuel filter, ignition coil, plugs and wires, distributor cap, cam sensor, crank position sensor, tps, mass air sensor and still it will n ot start, cranks fine and acts like it is flooded
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Chevy
12/22/2010
Chevy Mechanic: kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 6 years ago
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

kalamykid :

Have you replaced the ignotion module?

JACUSTOMER-gah2tvaf- :

the one on the side of the distributor?

JACUSTOMER-gah2tvaf- :

that is about the only ignition component that has not yet been replaced, however I did try one from another running vehicle and it did not seem to remedy the problem

kalamykid :

DO you have 12 volts to the pink wire at the coil, crank sensor, and at the distributor plugs with them unpluged and the ignition switch on?

JACUSTOMER-gah2tvaf- :

pink wire at the coil was just under 12v (11.3v) the plug at distributor was 12.01V crank sensor was 11.87v

kalamykid :

DO youhave a fuel pressure tester?

JACUSTOMER-gah2tvaf- :

yes I do ....checked that also, actually it was the first thing i checked, actually it has flooded on me twice and I have had to blow out each cylinder, and have replaced plugs each time

kalamykid :

Can you hook the pressure tester up and see what the pressure is. Then see how fast the pressure drops.

JACUSTOMER-gah2tvaf- :

i can try it...kinda dark out here...it's 9:47pm where I am

kalamykid :

same time here

JACUSTOMER-gah2tvaf- :

ok well ya never know on here...let me see what i can do..be right back

kalamykid :

ok

JACUSTOMER-gah2tvaf- :

ok.....lets see...(hope my lap top don't freeze up...23degrees out)...ok...when i turn the key on it spikes to about 66psi

JACUSTOMER-gah2tvaf- :

after it primes.....it drops to...about 57psi

JACUSTOMER-gah2tvaf- :

now its @56psi..seems to be holding

kalamykid :

When you swaped the ignition module out did you replace the whole distributor or just the module?

JACUSTOMER-gah2tvaf- :

just the module

kalamykid :

Do you have the whole distributor?

JACUSTOMER-gah2tvaf- :

i've got a running blazer i can swap it out of and try it

kalamykid :

It is posible that the pick up coil is weak.

JACUSTOMER-gah2tvaf- :

could be...the original issue when it would still run was random misfire and spitting and sputtering under acceleration...but would smooth out if you feathered the pedal....now it's just a weak spark...would the pick up account for that?

JACUSTOMER-gah2tvaf- :

guess it makes sense

kalamykid :

yes if the coil is not sending a good signal to the module then it can efect the spark steghth

kalamykid :

You will also need to check the ground of the coil to the intake.

kalamykid :

Make sure there is no paint on the braket where it meats the intake and the bolts.

JACUSTOMER-gah2tvaf- :

the ignition coil?

kalamykid :

yes

JACUSTOMER-gah2tvaf- :

i noticed when i replaced it that the one that was on there did not have that little ground strap that came with the new one

kalamykid :

make sure it is grounded good.

JACUSTOMER-gah2tvaf- :

it's been painted....i'll scrape some of the paint off where it makes connection and try that

kalamykid :

ok

JACUSTOMER-gah2tvaf- :

ok...still doesn't start...but spark looks a little better...maybe this is the line i need to follow

kalamykid :

Swap out the distributor and see if it will start

JACUSTOMER-gah2tvaf- :

yeah....wont be tonight though i have to go down to the yard to pull it from the blazer...btu i'll let ya know

kalamykid :

The best way to do the swap is to line number one plug with the rotor and the cap. then rotat the crank so the star under the rotor lines up

kalamykid :

do this on both trucks and set it back in so it lines up again when up put the distributor in

kalamykid :

This will keepit in time.

JACUSTOMER-gah2tvaf- :

ok...i'll keep that in mind...sure will eliminate the headache

JACUSTOMER-gah2tvaf- :

i'll try it in the morning before my wife grabs me for all teh xmas stuff

kalamykid :

LOL Ok

JACUSTOMER-gah2tvaf- :

ok...well first let me say I hope you and yours have a Merry Christmas!

JACUSTOMER-gah2tvaf- :

Well that didn't work either...I actually tried both, my sons truck would not start with the transplant and the blazer started right up with the ditributor from the truck!!

kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
So swapping the distributor made the truck we where working on start and the old distributor made the donor truck not start right?

nope, actually the other way around, the s10 truck we were working on "still" will not start but the s10 blazer (aka:donor vehicle) started right up with the distributor from the truck! I am still not able to start the truck! I have a flashing "security" light on the dash also, so I thought maybe the spare key was not programmed, so I went throught the learn key procedure, went and had the key checked, my next step is having the ecm programmed/checked, the donor vehicle also has a flashing seurity when trying to start it and it goes out like the rest of the "idiot" lights when the vehicle starts so i don't believe that to be the issue but i'm lost at this point!

short of taking of taking it to a dealer I don't know what to do! I even wnet back through everything i had previously checked...i still have well over 60psi fuel pressure over 170 psi compression on all cylinders, I got fuel, spark, and compression yet it still will not start! the only code i had at the beginning was random misfire and that was cleared and has returned, timing is right on, it's gotta be something electrical it seems to me anyway!

Do you have a noid light? I will post a diagram of the injector plug so you will know what wires to connect the noid light to see if the injectors are getting a pulse to shot fuel into the intake or not.

As for the security light, does it flash faster in your tuck then it does in the donor truck?

i must be getting fuel if it keeps flooding if i crank it over too much...isn't it? I don't have one but i do have access to one, just figured since it flooded me twice now that it wasn't the injectors, guessing i was rong in my thinking maybe?
The injectors can be staying open and letting fuel dump into the intake.
ok, i'll try that...this ought to be fun..lol
Let me know if the niod light flashes.
ok...when it is hooked up in line and i try to start the vehicle...it blinks on and off...or flashes as it is...all six cylinders were the same!
take the top off of the throttle body. Op[en the throttle and see if you have a bad smell of gas?
it smells of gas but not an overwhelming odor....and of course i broke that little clip holding the plastic to the front so now i gotta rob one!!
There should not be any gas odor in the intake. Can you pull the upper intake off so you can see the injector spider, reconnect the fuel lines to it and cycle the ignition switch on and off " do not try to start it". this way you can see if the spider is leaking fuel. when you go to put the upper intake back on you can reuse the gaskets just make sure to oil them good so they do not bind up and break. If you have to turn the engine over to get fuel pressure pull the coil wire and with a spark tester ground it so no spark gets from the coil to the cap so the engine will not start. let me know if you see any gas leaks. also pull the spark plugs and see if they are wet with gas. If they are with the plugs out then the engine over so the cylinders can dry out some and replace the spark plugs with new ac delco plugs or you can run the new E3 plugs.
twice prior to this the engine was flodded and the plugs were wet, I have an air nozzle that has a long piece of refer. tube connected that i used to blow out the cylinders and let it set over nite with no plugs in it, i've had to do this twice! In performing what you told me I see that the "spider" is leaking fuel...not tons but a few drips. Am i correct in assuming this will have something to do with the pressure regulator?
Can you tell where the leak is coming from on the spider? Is it to the front or rear of the spider? Each of the injectors have there own oring seals and if one of them is leaking it can seem to be coming from any where, but the regulator is most coming fault. The regulator can be bad as it gets its vacuum from the intake not a vacuum hose like the external regulators do.
Hello, Just thought I would drop you a line and let you know that we were finally able to get the truck running, with your guidance of course!! What we ultimately found was, the "spider" had one injector that was totally fried on the end, there was a hairline crack in the distributor cap ( we were able to find by trying to fire it in the dark..lol), the #3 cylinder spark plug wire connector had "NO" contact in the cap, some one had been into it before and the intake gasket on the backside had a 2" section missing that they tried to cure by filling it with forma-gasket silicone! So the truck has new distributor cap, plugs, wires, fuel filter, multi-port injection assembly, ignition coil, ignition module, air filter, gaskets, cam sensor, crank position sensor, tps, O2 sensor, mafs sensor! But after all that and thanks to your guidance, she is up and running yet again! So thank you once again and I will be sure to reflect it in my feed back!

I am glade you found all the problems and corrected them. If you need anything more just drop me a line.

kalamykid
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech