GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

1995 chevrolet: 3500 hd with a 6.5 Turbo Diesel..like dieing..road

Customer Question

I have a 1995 Chevrolet 3500HD with a 6.5 Turbo Diesel. For the past few years it has been like dieing out while riding down the road. mostly on heavy excellerations. Since then it was broken down for about two to three months. Come to find out the lift fuel pump on the side of the frame went bad. Replaced that and then the alt went out. Replaced that and now it has a tendency to be idling and it will just die right out. Sometimes it will start back somtimes it won't.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 6 years ago.

Welcome, and thanks for using Just Answer. I am Cam, and I will do my best to assist you. When you are finished please click on accept only if you are satisfied. I don't get paid unless you do.Please do not accept if you cannot leave positive feedback. I don't know if you are a tech or a just working on your own vehicle so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answers will be based on what you tell me so please add all the details you can. About your vehicle,

The engine dying like the key is shut off is usually a bad injection pump. These are notorious for this issue. When it will not start, see if you can unplug the optical fuel temp sensor on the top of the pump. If it will start after that is unplugged then it is a bad injection pump.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The dying out while riding down the road. Actually is like the fire to the engine is being lost for a second or two then its right back and the engine never dies completely while driving. And its not all the time just random. It has just started the cutting off while idling since it was sitting not being used for about two or three months.I tried the optical fuel sensor so for one time. It started but it had to crank over quite a bit before starting. Is it possible to be the PMD module on the side of the injector pump is going up ? Thanks Troy

Troy, yes it could be, and most try that first with a cooler device called an FSD cooler. install is about 20 mins.