Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Chevrolet Silverado 2500 have trouble codes p0202 and p2149.

Customer Question
have trouble codes p0202 and...
have trouble codes p0202 and p2149. how do I fix the problem?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Chevy
11/10/2010
Chevy Mechanic: Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician replied 7 years ago
Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician

Hello and welcome to justanswer.

These codes are related to wiring problems with the #2 injector. There are two possible causes, chafed wiring and/or a loose connector at the injector itself. There is a bulletin concerning this problem and the fix. I have included it below for your reference.

#09-06-04-034: Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Illuminated, Fuel Injector Driver Circuit DTCs and Cylinder Bank Shut Down DTCs, Reduced Engine Power (Repair Fuel Injector Control Module (FICM) Harness Chafed Wires) - (Aug 17, 2009)

View Full Image
Subject:Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Illuminated, Fuel Injector Driver Circuit DTCs P0201, P0202, P0203, P0204, P0205, P0206, P0207, P0208 and Cylinder Bank Shut Down DTCs P2146 or P2149, Reduced Engine Power (Repair Fuel Injector Control Module (FICM) Harness Chafed Wires)

Models:2001-2004 Chevrolet Kodiak C4500/C5500 Series, Silverado Models
2001-2004 GMC Sierra Models, TopKick C4500/C5500 Series
Equipped with DuramaxTM Diesel Engine RPO LB7
2004-2005 Chevrolet Kodiak, Silverado Models
2004-2005 GMC Sierra Models, TopKick
Equipped with Duramax Diesel Engine RPO LLY
Please Refer to GMVIS

Condition

Some customers may comment that the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) is illuminated or intermittent and there is a significant reduction in engine power (limp home mode).

The scan tool may display one or more Injector Driver Circuit DTCs P0201, P0202, P0203, P0204, P0205, P0206, P0207 or P0208 and/or Cylinder Bank Shut Down DTCs P2146 or P2149 set as Current or in History.

Cause

This condition may be caused by the fuel injector control module (FICM) wiring harness protective conduit rubbing against the back of the alternator, the alternator bracket or the FICM harness retaining bracket. This may result in the conduit rubbing through, exposing the wires inside and chafing of the wire insulation then occurs.

Correction

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Observe the DTC information with the scan tool.
  3. If any of the above DTCs are set, then proceed to inspect the FICM wiring harness at the locations outlined in the following steps.
  4. Turn OFF the ignition and all accessories and allow the control modules to power down.

Note: For Silverado and Sierra models only perform Step 5.

5. Remove the air cleaner outlet duct. Refer to Air Cleaner Outlet Duct Replacement in SI.
    Object
    View Full Image

Important: DO NOT break off the tab on the electrical connectors.

6. Disconnect the FICM electrical connectors (2) from the FICM (1).
    Object
    View Full Image

7. Carefully bend up and backwards the FICM wiring harness electrical connectors (1) away from the FICM (4).
    Object
    View Full Image

Note: Some of these chafes are very small, possibly the size of a pen tip, but could still cause injector circuit concerns.

8. Inspect the wiring harness for chafing (3) that may result from rubbing at the back of the alternator (2), the alternator bracket or at the FICM harness retaining bracket.

If necessary, peel the tape from the area and look for ANY chafes into the wires.

If chafing is observed and the conductive portion of the wire IS NOT damaged, apply electrical tape around the wire.
    If chafing is observed and the conductive portion of the wire IS damaged, then refer to Splicing Copper Wire Using Splice Sleeves in Wiring Repairs in SI.
    If chafing IS NOT OBSERVED , then refer to the appropriate DTC Diagnostic procedures in SI.
  9. Connect the electrical connectors to the FICM.
  10. Insulate the harness with suitable material such as conduit or heater hose to prevent a reoccurrence.

Note: For Silverado and Sierra models only perform Step 11.

11. Install the air cleaner outlet duct. Refer to Air Cleaner Outlet Duct Replacement in SI

Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Dave Nova
Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician