Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

chevy silverado my ventilatoin system is stuck on recirculation

my ventilatoin system is stuck...
my ventilatoin system is stuck on recirculation and no outside air will come through. cabin air filter has been changed. this is a 2002 chevy silverado half ton z71 LS.
11/8/2010
John, Master A.S.E Automotive technician

Hello & Welcome to JA,

Is you ac system manual or an automatic system ?

automatic , it should cycle from outside to recirculate air during hot weather conditions or i can do it manualy

I am sending information for air delivery description & operation. This problem can be a faulty mode actuator,recirculation actuator,pressure switch, or PCM (powertrain control module). Mostly when this happens I see the actuators or pressure switch. With the use of a scan tool one can view each actuator position in BCM data. There also may be a code set in the BCM (body control module).

Air Conditioning A/C High Pressure Recirculation Switch Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Raise and support the vehicle. Object Number: 397231  Size: SH

2. Disconnect the electrical connector from the A/C high pressure recirculation switch.
  3. Remove the A/C high pressure recirculation switch from the evaporator tube.

The air delivery description and operation is divided into five areas:

HVAC Control Components
Air Speed
Air Delivery
Recirculation Operation
Automatic Operation

HVAC Control Module

The HVAC control module is a class 2 device that interfaces between the operator and the HVAC system to maintain air temperature and distribution settings. The battery positive voltage circuit provides power that the control module uses for keep alive memory (KAM). If the battery positive voltage circuit loses power, all HVAC DTCs and settings will be erased from KAM. The body control module (BCM), which is the vehicle mode master, provides a device on signal. The control module supports the following features:

Feature

Availability

Afterblow

No

Purge

No

Personalization

Yes

Actuator Calibration

Yes

Mode Actuator

The mode actuator is a 5 wire bi-directional electric motor that incorporates a feedback potentiometer. Ignition 3 voltage, low reference, control, 5 volt reference and position signal circuits enable the actuator to operate. The control circuit uses either a 0, 2.5 or 5 volt signal to command the actuator movement. When the actuator is at rest, the control circuit value is 2.5 volts. A 0 or 5 volt control signal commands the actuator movement in opposite directions. When the actuator shaft rotates, the potentiometer's adjustable contact changes the door position signal between 0-5 volts.

The HVAC control module uses a range of 0-255 counts to index the actuator position. The door position signal voltage is converted to a 0-255 count range. When the module sets a commanded, or targeted, value, the control signal is changed to either 0 or 5 volts depending upon the direction that the actuator needs to rotate to reach the commanded value. As the actuator shaft rotates the changing position signal is sent to the module. Once the position signal and the commanded value are the same, the module changes the control signal to 2.5 volts.

Blower Motor Control Processor

The blower motor control processor controls the speed of the blower motor by increasing or decreasing the voltage drop on the ground side of the blower motor. The HVAC control module provides a low side pulse width modulated signal to the blower motor control processor over the blower motor speed control circuit. As the requested blower speed increases, the HVAC control module increases the amount of time that the speed signal is modulated to ground. As the requested blower speed decreases, the HVAC control module decreases the amount of time that the signal is modulated to ground.

The blower control switch is integrated into the HVAC control module. The two rocker type switches provide the vehicle operator the ability to select several blower speeds. The HVAC control module uses a bar graph type display to indicate the selected blower speed. The HVAC control module provides a pulse width modulated (PWM) signal to the blower motor through the blower motor speed control circuit. The blower motor changes speed based on the received PWM signal from the HVAC control module. Power and ground are provided to the blower motor through the battery positive voltage and ground circuits. When the HVAC control module is operating in AUTO mode, the system automatically controls the blower speed. Power and ground are provided to the HVAC control module by the ignition 3 voltage and the ground circuits.

The HVAC control module controls the distribution of air by the use of a mode actuator. The modes that may be selected are:

Defrost
Defog
Panel
BI-Level
Floor

The mode actuator are connected to the mode door by a cam type linkage system. Depending on the position of the door, air is directed through the HVAC module and distributed through various ducts leading to the outlets in the dash. If the HVAC control module detects a fault with the mode door the HVAC control module will try to drive the actuator for a predetermined amount of time, to defrost, which is the defaulted position for the mode door actuator. When the mode switch is placed in the defrost or defog positions the A/C is commanded on and the recirculation door is moved to the outside air position to help reduce window fogging. A/C is available in all modes and recirculation is only available in the panel and bi-level modes.

Mode Actuator

The mode actuator is an electronic stepper motor with feedback potentiometers. The HVAC control module sends signals to the mode door actuator through the mode door control circuit. Zero volts drives the actuator in one direction while 5-volts moves the actuator in the opposite direction. When the actuator receives 2.5-volts, the actuator rotation stops. A 5-volt reference signal is sent out over the 5-volt reference circuit to the mode actuator. When you select a desired mode setting, logic determines the value of the mode actuator signals. The HVAC control module's software uses this reference voltage in order to determine the position of the mode actuator through the mode door position signal circuit. The motor moves the mode door to the desired position.

Front Defrost

When defrost is selected, the A/C compressor is activated. The A/C compressor clutch will engage when ambient temperatures are above 3°C (38°F). The blower motor will be activated, regardless of the coolant temperature. The HVAC control module will override the auxiliary HVAC control module so a high volume of air is delivered to the front defrost vents. The rear window defogger does not affect the HVAC system.

The HVAC control module controls the air intake through the recirculation actuator. The recirculation switch closes the recirculation door in order to circulate the air within the vehicle. The outside air switch opens the recirculation door in order to route outside air into the vehicle. Regardless of the blower motor switch position, recirculation is available only in the panel and bi-level mode switch positions. Including the OFF position. The mode switch must be placed in either the panel or bi-level position before the blower motor switch is placed in the OFF position. In order to reduce windshield fogging, outside air is circulated when the mode switch is in the defrost or defog positions. If the recirculation switch is pressed into the ON position when the mode switch is in an unavailable mode position, then the recirculation switch LED will flash 3 times. If the HVAC control module detects a fault with the recirc door the HVAC control module will try to drive the actuator for a predetermined amount of time, to outside air, which is the defaulted position for the recirculation actuator.

In automatic operation, the HVAC control module will maintain the comfort level inside of the vehicle by controlling the A/C compressor clutch, the blower motor, the air temperature actuators, mode actuator and recirculation.

To place the HVAC system in Automatic mode, the following is required:

The Auto switch must be activated
The air temperature switch must be in any other position other than full hot or full cold position

Once the desired temperature is reached, the blower motor, mode, recirculation and temperature actuators will automatically be adjusted to maintain the temperature selected. The HVAC control module performs the following functions to maintain the desired air temperature:

Monitor the following sensors:
- Inside air temperature sensor
- Ambient Air Temperature Sensor
- Lower Left Air Temperature Sensor
- Lower Right Air Temperature Sensor
- Upper Left Air Temperature Sensor
- Upper Right Air Temperature Sensor
Regulate blower motor speed
Position the air temperature actuator
Position the mode actuator
Position the recirculation actuator
Request A/C operation