Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

How do you replace the heater blower in a 97 chevy pickup

Customer Question
how do you replace the heater blower in a 97 chevy pickup
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Chevy
10/28/2010
Chevy Mechanic: Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic replied 7 years ago
Tim's Auto Repair

hi

GM Full-Size Trucks 1988-1998 \

Blower Motor

• REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

Front
Without Air Conditioning

See Figure 1

1. Disconnect the negative battery terminal.
  2. Mark the position of the blower motor in relation to its case.
  3. Unplug the electrical connection at the motor.
  4. Remove the blower attaching screws and remove the assembly. Pry gently on the flange if the sealer sticks.
  5. FIG : Fig. 1: Blower motor wiring

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

1. The blower wheel can be removed from the motor shaft by unfastening the nut at the center.

To install:

1. Install the blower wheel to the motor shaft and tighten the nut at the center.
  2. Apply a bead of sealer to the blower mounting flange. Position the blower so that the marks are aligned and install the screws.
  3. Attach the electrical connection at the motor.
  4. Connect the negative battery terminal.

thanks

Please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

1988-91 R/V Series With Air Conditioning and GASOLINE ENGINES

See Figures 2 and 3

4. Disconnect the blower motor cooling tube.
  5. Unfasten the blower attaching screws and remove the assembly. Pry gently on the flange if the sealer sticks.
  6. The blower wheel can be removed from the motor shaft by unfastening the nut at the center.

To install:

3. Connect the motor cooling tube.
  4. Attach the electrical connection at the motor.
  5. Connect the negative battery terminal.

FIG : Fig. 2: Heater case and related parts

Register Here

FIG : Fig. 3: Evaporator and blower motor

Register Here

1988-91 R/V Series With Air Conditioning and DIESEL ENGINES

2. Unfasten the attaching bolts and nuts and remove the insulating shield from the case.
  3. Mark the position of the blower motor in relation to its case.
  4. Unplug the electrical connection at the motor.
  5. Disconnect the blower motor cooling tube.
  6. Unfasten the blower attaching screws and remove the assembly. Pry gently on the flange if the sealer sticks.
  7. The blower wheel can be removed from the motor shaft by unfastening the nut at the center.

To install:

3. Connect the motor cooling tube.
  5. Install the insulating shield.
  6. Connect the negative battery terminal.

1988-90 C/K Series With Air Conditioning

2. Unfasten the electrical connection at the motor.
  3. Unfasten the blower attaching screws and remove the assembly. Pry gently on the flange if the sealer sticks.
  4. The blower wheel can be removed from the motor shaft by unfastening the nut at the center.

To install:

3. Connect the electrical connection at the motor.

199198 C/K With Air Conditioning

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the instrument panel compartment.
  3. Unfasten the forward-most screw in the right side door sill plate. Remove the trim panel from the right hinge pillar.
  4. If necessary for access, unplug the ECM wiring and remove the ECM.
  5. Unplug the electrical lead at the blower motor and if equipped, remove the underdash courtesy lamp.
  6. Remove the bolt from the right side lower instrument panel support. Remove the blower cover and the cooling tube.
  7. Unfasten the flange screws and pull out the blower motor. You may have to pry back the right side of the instrument panel slightly. Be careful!

To install:

1. Position the blower motor and install the mounting screws. Be careful not to catch the blower on anything when sliding it in.
  2. Install the cooling tube and the blower shield.
  3. Install the bolt into the instrument panel support.
  4. Attach the courtesy lamp and the blower electrical lead.
  5. If removed, install the ECM. Attach the wiring harness.
  6. Install the trim panel on the pillar. Don't forget the screw in the sill plate!
  7. Install the instrument panel compartment and connect the battery cable.

Rear
1988-91 Models WITHOUT AIR CONDITIONING

2. Disconnect the blower motor wiring harness.
  3. Remove the blower motor clamp.
  4. Remove the motor attaching screws and lift out the motor.

To install:

1. Install the motor and tighten the attaching screws.
  2. Install the blower motor clamp.
  3. Connect the blower motor wiring harness.
  4. Connect the negative battery cable.

1988-91 Models WITH AIR CONDITIONING

2. Remove the drain tube from the rear duct.
  3. Unfasten the attaching screws and remove the rear duct from the roof panel.
  4. Disconnect the blower motor wiring and remove the ground strap and wire.
  5. Support the case and remove the lower-to-upper case half screws and lower the case and motor assemblies.
  6. Remove the motor retaining strap and remove the motor and wheels.

To install:

1. Install the motor and wheels.
  2. Install the motor retaining strap.
  3. Raise the case and install the lower-to-upper case half screws.
  4. Connect the blower motor wires.
  5. Attach the blower motor ground straps at the center connector between the motors.
  6. Install the duct.
  7. Install the screws securing the duct to the roof and case.
  8. Connect the drain tubes at the rear of the blower-evaporator duct.
  9. Connect the battery cable.

1992-98 Models

See Figure 4

2. Remove the right rear quarter panel trim.
  3. Disconnect the electrical lead at the fan.
  4. Remove the screws and if equipped, the cooling tube.
  5. If necessary, remove the fan retaining nut and lift out the blower fan.
  6. Remove the blower motor.

To install:

1. Install the blower motor and then position the fan.
  2. Install the retaining nut and then tighten the mounting screws to 12 inch lbs. (2 Nm).
  3. If removed, install the cooling tube.
  4. Connect the electrical lead. Install the quarter panel trim cover.
  5. Connect the battery cable.

FIG : Fig. 4: Auxiliary heating and A/C system

Register Here

Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic