Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

What would cause the horn to honk when the ignition is

Customer Question
turned to start truck on...
What would cause the horn to honk when the ignition is turned to start truck on a 2003 Chev. S10 ZR5
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Chevy
9/30/2010
Chevy Mechanic: GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician replied 7 years ago
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Chat Conversation Started
GM Tech (Cam) :

Hi, I'm Cam. May I ask your first name? I am working to get you a fast accurate answer. About your vehicle,does it sound steady or just a bit?

Customer:

the horn honks in a steady tone

Customer:

My name is Les

GM Tech (Cam) :

Hi Le.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Sorry Les

GM Tech (Cam) :

Does the horn work when the key is off?

Customer:

Let me Check, give me a minute

GM Tech (Cam) :

ok Les.

Customer:

Yes the horn honks

GM Tech (Cam) :

OK, With the key on, does it change if you turn the wheel?

Customer:

Let me check

GM Tech (Cam) :

ok

Customer:

No, but I might have not made clear what the problem is, When I turn the ignition to start the vehecle, all it does is blow the horn

GM Tech (Cam) :

Yes Les, I understood that. MY first though is that it was a short around the steering wheel, but then does it not start?

Customer:

I tried to turn the steering wheel but nothing changes

Customer:

One thing that is different is a blinking red light on the lower dash on left side, this has never been on before that I know of

GM Tech (Cam) :

So the engine does not start.

Customer:

No it doesn't

GM Tech (Cam) :

OK, try a reset.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Take the battery cables off the battery, hold the ends together for 10 seconds then attach them to the battery and see what happens. This will reset the whole vehicle.

Customer:

Will do

GM Tech (Cam) :

ok

Customer:

No help

GM Tech (Cam) :

OK, Is this red light, is it a symbol or just a light?

GM Tech (Cam) :

Disarming the System

In the arm initiated mode, the following conditions are true:

The security telltale is ON.

The doors are open.

In order to disarm a system in the arm initiated mode, perform one of the following procedures:

Press the power door lock switch to the UNLOCK position.

Press the door unlock button on the key fob.

In order to disarm a system in the arm delay or the armed mode, perform one of the following procedures:

Use the key in order to unlock one of the doors.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Deactivating the Alarm

In the alarm mode, the following conditions are true:

The horns sound intermittently.

The headlights and the park lamps are flashing.

In order to deactivate a system in the alarm mode, perform one of the following procedures:

If the vehicle control module (VCM)/powertrain control module (PCM) receives a valid Passlock™ ignition key rotation.

Customer:

It is a light, it is just under the steering wheel on left

GM Tech (Cam) :

That is another alarm not GM

Customer:

Well none of that worked,

GM Tech (Cam) :

Can you trace the wires from the little light to the module that controls it?

GM Tech (Cam) :

Does the check engine light come on when you turn the key in/

GM Tech (Cam) :

on I mean?

Customer:

yes

GM Tech (Cam) :

Yes to the check engine light?

Customer:

Yes

GM Tech (Cam) :

O, how about tracing the wires for that small red light?

Customer:

I was just trying and it a little tight, the dash rolls under and there is little room

GM Tech (Cam) :

I know, but i suspect there is another device in there.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Any luck?

GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician