Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

2003 chevy: idling..rough..you have a vacuum line loose..running hot

Customer Question
2003 chevy silverado 5.3liter is...
2003 chevy silverado 5.3liter is making a chirping noise and motor is idling very rough like when you have a vacuum line loose. It is not running hot. When I rev it up in while in sitting still it chirps louder and still rough running like is about to go dead. I changed the main belt on front of motor about a month ago.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Chevy
9/18/2010
Chevy Mechanic: Michael Moore, GM MASTER/WORLD CLASS. ASE MASTER replied 7 years ago
Michael Moore
Michael Moore, GM MASTER/WORLD CLASS. ASE MASTER
Does the noise happen with the belt off?

Does the check engine light come on while the engine is running?
I haven't taken the belt off. No the check engine light does not come on while running.
Take off the belt to see if the noise goes away. This will lets us know if its a engine noise or a belt noise.
Ok I will take off belt and get right back to you with reply.
Let me know what you find.
Sorry getting back to you so late, but I will give you a quick synopsis of what I have done since last reply. I bought a diagnostic scanner and received these codes: P0101, P0134, P0135, P0300, P0322, P0442, P1258. I replaced all the spark plugs which didn't help at all. I took off the main belt and the chirping sound went away and the truck actually didn't run as rough. I didn't mention this before but before I took the belt off along with the chirping there was a random loud click sound similar to the click sound when the A/C compressor kicks on. The only thing I could see during the clicking noise was the tension pulley on the top left as your facing the front of the motor was moving during the click. I used it to help release the belt and checked it and is fine and turns smooth. I noticed my fan has assembly has a little bit of slack where it is fixed on the rod that turns it. It wobbles a little but is smooth when I turn it. The clicking quit when I took belt off also.
First thing you should do is clear the codes and see if they come back. You have a few oxygen sensor codes, a random misfire code and a evap system code. The p0101 may cause a rough idle concern. This is a mass air flow sensor code which can be caused by a dirty sensor. The most common cause for this code is a K and N style air filter. The oil gets on the sensor and causes a false reading. You can clean the sensor with throttle body cleaner. The sensor is located on the air inlet hose between the air filter and intake. Remove the sensor and spray the thin wires inside the air tube. You do not have to remove the screen inside the sensor to clean it. The P0134 and p0135 are for the o2 sensor heaters, this will not cause a idle concern. The heaters warm up the sensor for proper operation fast to reduce emissions, they need to be replaced if the codes come back. The p0322 does not come up on my list, not sure if you have a misprint or wrote the code down wrong. P0442 is a evap concern, no need to address this code until the engine is running properly, will not cause a performance issue. P1258 seems to be a overheat code, again will not effect engine performance at this time.
Michael Moore
About the chirping and loud clicking sound, I took my belt off and it quit. I feel slack in the fan when I push and pull on sides of fan, and it has a wobble while motor is running. Do you think this is a fan clutch problem. I put belt back on and was going to unplug the fan motor to make sure, I cant seem to find where it is plugged in.
The fan clutch has no electrical on this truck, it may cause a vibration but should not cause a chirp. It may be the belt so run the engine and spray the belt with some WD-40 or other type of spray. If the noise goes away, then the belt is the concern. There has been issues with the power steering pump pulley not installed all the way and causing the belt to make a noise. You can inspect it by making sure the front of the pulley is flush with the inner shaft.
I cleared the codes lubed the belt and cleaned the mass air flow sensor. I ran the motor still has the chirping noise but very faint with idle but gets louder when increase rpm's. The motor is still running rough and sounds as if it will go dead any minute. Rechecked the codes and had code P0135(heater circuit malf) and code P0300(random misfire) and those are the only codes received.
Can you drive the truck or does it lack power.
Michael Moore
Michael Moore