Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Have a 2002 chevrolet cavalier 4cyl. 2.

Customer Question
have a 2002 chevrolet cavalier...
have a 2002 chevrolet cavalier 4cyl. 2.2l_where is the egr valve located
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Chevy
9/4/2010
Chevy Mechanic: AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN replied 7 years ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN
Hello there!

THis motor does not use an egr valve.

Is the check engine light on?

Do you know the code numbers in the computer?
that explains why i cant find it!! yes the check engine light is on, and the code numbers on the computer are12218903
NO... the code numbers inside the computer

your talking to a girl how do i get inside the computer

Oh.. sorry. :) And you replaced the fuel pump? WOW... impressive!

You would need to get your computer scanned for codes. THis is done with a factory scan tool or you can get this done with a code reader.

When was the last time the engine was tuned up? No, not just plugs, but a full tune up! The whole nine yards! Any part of the secondary ignition will do this including the ignition coil or coils! This sounds like a classic ignition misfire! They usually go bad under a load like under acceleration, but can be noticeable at any time. It is very important to have your engine equipped with good tune up parts or you may be causing damage to other components of you car like the catalytic converter which can be expensive!

Possible causes:

Ignition misfire causes by any bad tune up part and or ignition coil or coils.
Bad spark plugs, spark plug wires and cap and rotor (if equipped)
Wrong tune up parts spark plug, wires etc...

Insulator cracks.
Wear.
Improper gap.
Burned electrodes.
Heavy deposits.

The quickest way to check the ignition components, is by looking closely for leaking secondary voltage. Visual look at all the tune up parts to see if you can see any sparks coming from any of the wires or coil (or coils) when the vehicle is running. If not, you can put your hand on the coil/coils and wires when the engine is running and see if you feel any small voltage leaking form the tune up parts. Check spark plug wires by connecting ohmmeter to ends of each wire in question. If meter reads over 30,000 ohms, replace wire(s).
ALso, with engine running, spray coils and plug wires with fine water mist to check for shorts.

It will leak secondary ignition voltage from the tune up parts caused by high resistance from carbon tracking if they are bad. This is very common if the tune up parts are not changed regularly!

If any is found, the tune up parts are simple bad an will need to be replaced! If none is found than you can spray a mist of water on the tune up parts when the engine is running and see if that causes the engine to stumble or run rough at all. Again, if it does, the tune up parts are bad and will need to be replaced!
my neighbor has arrived to help-so your advise basically is to take car to a chevy dealer and have a full tune up done...
I would check these components first with the tests that I have provided to see if the tune up parts are bad before you replace them.

....i really want to avoid going to a dealer, it will end up costing me more than the cars worth-but it was getting me to work and back fine until last week-no sparks coming from anything, so we are going to now check the ohm which number do i put meter reader on...20m, 200k, 2k, or 200

200k should do the trick.

Also, try the wet test with some water. Just a small fine mist of water will be enough to hopefully make it act up.
when i pulled spark plug wire off 2-motor almost died, put it back, then motor went back to original problem. pulled off 3 almost died, put it back same problem, pulled off 4, it came right off in my hand. coils no leaks-neighbor got shock when he pulled on number 1, lmao
So does the engine rpm change when number 4 was pulled off?
no
Well, there is our problem. The misfire is on number 4 cylinder. You will have to check compression and maybe even the fuel injector on that cylinder. IF those two check out ok, I would be willing ot bet that the ignition components are the problem.
how do you check compression and fuel injectors
To check compression, you will need a compression tester. It simply screws down into the cylinder and you just crank the engine over for a few seconds and take a reading.

TO check fuel trigger, You would use a tool called a noid light. It simply plugs into the injector connector after the fuel injector is unplugged and should blink when the engine is cranked over. It looks like this.

graphic
ok...so for today i will go get coils, wires and plugs and see if that makes a difference, just called and it will cost me about 75
Thats not too bad. If you are doing the coils, I would recommend to do all of the ignition components at once. Spark plug and wire/boot if equipped along with the coils.
thats what we will do, if problems persists after all this is changed, what should i do, go for the compression test and check the fuel trigger, or do you think this should fix it
I do think this should fix it. HOwever being a professional mechanic, I ALWAYS check ALL of these things BEFORE I replace any parts.

However, I know that you may not have this expensive test equipment. So it is completely up to you. All I can do it recommend certain things to you and point you in the right direction.
Sorry... I meant to say that I do think the tune up parts will fix your problem. THis is the most common cause of misfires on this vehicle.
ok....so....will do the ignition components, its a 100 gamble, thanks for your professional opinion, your advise and for pointing me in a direction!! appreciate it-have a great wkend
You bet!

I DO hope you found my Answer to be helpful regarding your vehicles condition. IF SO-please hit **ACCEPT** as you read this Answer, in order that I may receive credit for my time, thanks. BONUSES & Positive Feedback Most appreciated!
Please Note: I receive ZERO Credit until & unless you choose to ACCEPT my well thought-out Answer.

REGARDS

AMEDEE
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN
AMEDEE
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN