John, Master A.S.E Automotive technician
Experience:  A.S.E MasterTechnician A1-A8 w/L1,38 years experience General Motors Master Technician
6408229

2003 Chevy Tahoe lt: 2wd..driver side..of the 4WD tires or trucks

I have a 2003 Chevy Tahoe LT 2WD that is making a whining noise that sounds like it's coming from the driver side front when the car is moving. The sound is like that you would hear off some of the 4WD tires or trucks. The noise does not get louder the faster I go but does go away under 10 mph. I'm thinking front axle bearing as I had the rear dif serviced a couple of months ago when I also had this sound and nothing was found to be wrong with the exception of replacing a rear axle seal that was leaking. I've replaced the tires and initialy I could not hear the whining sound that I heard previously but it's now reappered.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

Hello & Welcome to JA,

Your problem is most likely a front wheel bearing ,I replace quite a few of these.It will come as a hub assembly & is held on by 3 bolts.If you need any more help with repairing this problem please do not hesitate to ask.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

John,

Can the wheel bearing be replaced without replacing the entire hub assembly or is it all one piece? I'm guessing it's cheeper to replace just the wheel bearing than the entire assembly.

Do you have an any idea on what I should expect to pay at a Auto shop (non-dealer) for the repairs.?

Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
No, it is all one assembly including the wheel speed sensor.To replace this it is a 1.5 labor hour job.