Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

where is the knock sensor located on a 1989 chevy 4x4 350,

coud someone post a...
where is the knock sensor located on a 1989 chevy 4x4 350, coud someone post a pitcher of location
8/23/2010
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Chat Conversation Started
GM Tech (Cam) :

Greetings and Welcome to Just answer.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Full Size Image

Customer :

ok, there is nothing there on mine and no loose wier hanging down, the motor has been running fine from 5 years ago when i put it in, came from advanved auto parts. now it idels fine and runs fast its fine but slow speeds between 25 and 45 it chugs or missies kinda and if you hold that speed it will die, if you let off the gass or put your foot into it it runs fine again. is flashing a code for electrc spark control. sorry so long

Customer :

did all 350 in 89 come with a knock sensor

GM Tech (Cam) :

I am sure they did. With electronic spark control, it needs to know if the timing is out.

GM Tech (Cam) :

and if there is a spark knock.

Customer :

well i have been driving this truck for the past 5 or 6 years and it just started this problem in the past yeay or so, i have put a new throtol body withh all new sensors map,electric spark control,new computer,new distributer,cap rotor, and wiers. now im stumpd and all the shops around here cant answer my question, even had one tell me to come and pick up my truck there was nothing they could do for me

GM Tech (Cam) :

THe spark module is that the one in the distributor?

Customer :

there is an ignition control module in the distributer, and elitric spark controle on top of the motor on pasenger side, replaced ESC abot a week ago and ICM about a year ago.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Ok, is the reluctor wheel loose on the shaft of the distributor?

Customer :

ok whats the reluctor wheel and i will go check

GM Tech (Cam) :

It is the star wheel under the rotor.

Customer :

ok brb

Customer :

no, not loose

GM Tech (Cam) :

Is the EGR valve opening up or leaking?

Customer :

i think so, replaced it, gasget and new vacume hoseabout a month ago

Customer :

new coil,plugs coolant tempature sensor oxgyn sensor

Customer :

do you know what color the wier should be going to the knock sensor

GM Tech (Cam) :

Hold on, I will look.

GM Tech (Cam) :

dark blue from the spark module.

Customer :

ok,traced dark blue wier from elictrc spark control down to nothing, could this be what goes in the knock sensor, and if so can you but a new conector for it

Customer :

oops buy

GM Tech (Cam) :

HAs the wire been cut?

GM Tech (Cam) :

Do you see the sensor? Often they double as a block drain.

Customer :

no, but i got a new one, and that is what led me here, i see a plug in the spot about where your pitcher shows the sensor and that is what got me looking, could this give a elitrc spark control code

GM Tech (Cam) :

It may, these old ones are basic and don't have the diagnostic power.

Customer :

ok,can you buy a new conector for this or do i need to look in a junck yard

Customer :

if i have anymore questions, is there a way i can get you back, or do i just get whoever answers.

GM Tech (Cam) :

You can reply at any time for follow up information regarding this issue, even after you accept my answer and I will reply.

GM Tech (Cam) :

I would go for the junk yard myself.

Customer :

ok, yhank you

GM Tech (Cam) :

Use that link to get back tome.

GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician