Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

2003 chevy: 6.0 engine..speed manual..clutch pedal..2nd gear..3rd gear

Customer Question
I have a 2003 Chevy...
I have a 2003 Chevy 2500HD four wheel drive with the 6.0 engine and a 5 speed manual tranny. While I am driving, I noticed it is very difficult for me to change gears while the clutch pedal is fully depressed. If the truck is at idle at a red light, I can feel the tranny rock a little when I am trying to shift it into 2nd gear, and then when I take off, it grinds when I shift into 3rd gear. It feels like something is not ligning up properly. The truck runs smooth once it is in gear. I can also feel it shudder when I slow and stop while I have the truck in 2nd gear.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Chevy
8/16/2010
Chevy Mechanic: Gary, Chevy Technician replied 7 years ago
Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
will it shift ok when the engine is off and the clutch is pushed down?how far off the floor does the clutch pedal rise until it starts to move the truck?has this truck had a trans fluid change recently?

The truck shifts fine with the motor off. The clutch has been engaging about and inch or two from the floor when I start to release it. I do not know about the fluid change because I bought this truck about a week ago and it ran fine durring the test drive. It just started becoming difficult changing gears while drive the past couple of days.

the first thing you need to do is get a trans fluid change that fluid may be very dirty or possibly the wrong fluid is in the trans.either will cause the gears to clash and cause what you have going on.i would start there and then drive it for a week and see if the trans starts shifting better
That truck does have 118,000 miles on it. How often does it need changed, and does it need flushed as well
no it is just a drain and fill should be done every 60k if the truck is worked really hard every 30k
Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Thank you for your help
any time let me know how it goes
Just wanted to let you know that the tranny in my truck did need the fluid replaced. It looked like only half the fluid was still in the tranny. The mechanic drained it and replaced it with a synthetic 75-85 I believe, but he charged $160.00 to do so. Seemed like a job I could have done in my own back yard. But you were right, it needed it. However, I got to look closely at the transmission, and it looks like someone has replaced the line for the hydraulic clutch. I wanted to know if there was a way that I can bleed that system myself, or do I have to take it to a dealership. I understand if I have to pay more for your advice. I appreciate your help
why would you want to bleed it?is there air in it?

After the tranny fluid was replaced, that clutch pedal engages when I barely release it a quarter of an inch off of the floor. I am wondering if that is why I am having problems shifting into gear while I am driving. Maybe the clutch is not fully disengaging. I noticed the hydraulic line, and it looks fairly new. I am wondering if it had been replaced and never bleed properly. When I compress the clutch, it is very difficult to shift into gear while the truck is running. Sometimes 2nd and 3rd gear grind. I can even feel the whole transmission jolt when I put it into gear at a stop light. I have to practicaly stand on the clutch pedal to get it into gear. It drives fine, once the clutch is engaged.

yeah you are going to have to bleed it and see if there is any air in it
I got it bleed, the pedal is firmer now and it does work a little smoother. There was some air and what looked like lithium grease in the line. The shifting still is not syncing a hundred percent. I still have have a problem grinding gears while trying to shift ocassionaly. I noticed that my motor mounts are completely shot and they need to be replaced. I do not know if that is what is causing it to be so difficult to shift, because the tranny maybe tweeked from the way it is sitting in the truck. I am at a loss and trying what I can short from replacing the tranny.
let that new trans fluid work in for a week and see if it helps
Gary
Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician