Mr GOODWRENCH
Mr GOODWRENCH, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  MASTER ASE TECH, 10+ yrs GM experience
43220722

How do you fill the transmission fluid in a 2010 chevy equinox?

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mr GOODWRENCH replied 7 years ago.
Hello I will be helping you with your equinox. There is a fill cap in the center of the top of the transmission. Would you like a picture?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Not necessary ... I see the fill cap, but how do you know when it is full? This is the 2.4 FWD version.

With the engine running there is a plug on the side of the transmission under the vehicle that needs to be removed. Its an 11 mm headed bolt on the drivers side. Are you having problems or is it leaking?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No initial problem or leak. Here is the thing. I just came home and my daughters boyfriend had removed the bottom (looks like 11 mm head bolt) and drained the transmission (don't ask - he was trying to change the oil). So now I want to fill it back up. The question is on the procedure to perform this. I have read article's online that talk about fill level indicators and bottom filling etc., so was a little confused. It looks like it fills from removing the cap in the top center of the transmission. The thing I did not know is when you know it is filled since I don't see a dipstick?
Fill it up from the top and on the side of the driver side is another plug towards the back is the level plug. You will need to fill the transmission up with dexron 6 fluid only. With the engine running remove the side plug add fluid till it comes out. If fluid comes out wait until it almost stops. Then allow the trans to warm up to 185 degrees. You will need to check it again. You maybe able to watch the temp on the DIC. These trans are kinda picky about fluid level so the temp needs to be between 185-203. Feel free to ask any questions
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok, so when the temp reaches 185-203, do I then add more untill it leaks out? Also does the transmission need to be in Park or Neutral? I know some cars used to have to be in neutral.
Park is fine with the engine running. Not sure usually you will need to add a little more remove the plug to see if any runs out.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
One last question for clarification ... when you stated ; "Fill it up from the top and on the side of the driver side is another plug towards the back is the level plug."

This level plug is right behind the axle housing correct?
Correct, the plug is to the right of the drivers axle shaft. Sorry the picture wouldnt post it would be a little more clearer