Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Service manager of Firestone
9949505

I have a 2006 Chevy Malibu-the power steering has been going

I have a 2006 Chevy Malibu-the power steering has been going out intermittently. Suddenly while driving or when starting from being parked and turned off-I can't steer without really horsing the steering wheel. Also, the lights on all of the controls on the dashboard went off once while driving. When that happened I could still steer the car, just didn't know how fast I was going! I took this to the dealer hoping the extended warranty would cover it. They not only said it would not be covered under warranty but they told me i need a new steering column and that it will cost me $685 plus tax. How does a steering column "wear" out??? Should I get another opinion, sell the car, or have them repair it?
Thanks for visiting Just Answer,
This diagnosis is probably correct. I have seen several steering columns wear out on this vehicle causing this problem.

I also see a c0545 code related to the problem as well.

There really isn't much you can do other than replace the column. No point of selling the vehicle becuase this really isn't a major repair.
IF you wanrt info on replacing this click here
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Does the error code mean there could be another problem? Also, I ONLY have 33, 000 miles on this vehicle! It seems new to me and surprising therefore that the steering column would actually "wear" out.
No the error code will pretty much link the steering column to the power steering problem. As it's common when these parts "wear" out. I can't say that I am surprised it's worn out, it's just a shame it wasn't covered under warranty.
There are no service bulletins on the issue yet, but perhaps one day.
Good luck with this problem.