Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

I have a 2002 Silverado 1500HD 6.0L 4L80E with a noise I cant

I have a 2002 Silverado 1500HD 6.0L 4L80E with a noise I can't figure out. I've noticed a steady buzzing/squeaking noise coming from my truck when I'm somewhere that has a wall or something to reflect the sound. It does not make it when I'm in park or neutral, but when I'm in a drive gear it makes it. It sounds like it is coming from underneath the cab. Transmission related maybe?
does it do it at hwy speeds?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It is only audible when I am stopped. If it makes it while I am moving the noise of the vehicle covers it up.

ok

first,replace the transmission filter,it may be clogged,,the transmission fluid pump may make a whining noise when it is starving for fluid...but,from the way you describe the sound,i think the torque converter is bad,..this would only may a noise wile in gear

thanks

Please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
wouldn't I have drivability problems though if it was the torque converters

hi

no..not always..the converter may whine like this,,and the lock-up will still work..though,i do look for it to get worse

thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I forgot to tell you that it has been very long since i change my transmission filter. Also, I got a buddy to go through the gears while I got down and listened. Its more of a whistling noise and it only does it in 1st, 3rd, and drive.

sitting still?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes

ok

change the transmission filter,,,but,it still worries me that it don't do it in [n]..this is what is telling me it is the converter,,,,in gear,the converter stater is holding and there is pressure on the converter..but ,do change the filter first,it may just be starving for fluid

thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Also if the transmission is put under extreme load from downshifting i can hear a clattering noise. Could that also be the torque converter or does that sound more internal. Or could possibly be the u-joints going bad?

well

the clattering may be the u-joints....but do the filter,then go from there

thanks