GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier: 000 miles..Problem: TRAC OFF..warning light

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier with just over 194,000 miles.
Problem: TRAC OFF warning light plus hard shifting until ignition is turned off and on.
I bought this car about 10 months ago from someone who was going to throw it away because he thought the transmission was needing to be replaced. I bought it thinking that replacing the transmission would take care of the problem. I did not replace the transmission because something happened that made me believe that the transmission may not be the problem. What happened was that we fixed a ground problem underneath the battery that was affecting the headlights and windshield wipers. After that the transmission ran smooth as silk for a good two weeks until the problem returned. We did some more work on the wires grounded beneath the battery thinking that maybe we missed something. Again, the problem seemed to go away for awhile only to return later. I did some research online and found that some people had some success replacing the TPS sensor. So, I replaced the TPS sensor. Same thing, the problem returned, but it seemed to help a little at least. The car was not experiencing the problem as often and the transmission was not slamming as hard when it did happen. I just read an old thread on here that suggested checking out the wiring to the TPS sensor, so I will do that. I would just like to know what else I should be checking? So it seems that anytime I do something with the electrical system it seems to help the transmission issue. I do not have the error codes at the moment, that was another thing I was going to try to get when the car is acting up, but that will require me to either buy or borrow a code reader as the problem is not predictable enough to take it somewhere to have the codes read.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 7 years ago.

Greetings and Welcome to Just answer.

Do you remove the battery each time you do a repair?

What size engine?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
2.2L SFI L4

Each time we did at least disconnect the battery, and reset the computer. I realize this might have something to do with the car forgetting it has an issue.

OK, I would look at the intake air temp sensor.

I have seen many where the wiring into the sensor is bad and it does not set the code, but it kicks the traction system off.

Object Number: 12935  Size: SH

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
We are going to take a look at this this weekend. Is there anything else we should check while we are at it?

Start with that.

Please reply back if you need additional help or press ACCEPT so that the question may be closed out. You can reopen it at any time by replying to it and I will answer ASAP. PLease keep in mind that as experts on this site, we are only compensated for our time spent helping customers once ACCEPT is selected. Thanks again for using Just Answer. Cam.