GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

2005 Chevy cobalt: The BCM 3 fuse (30 amp) blows..somewhere

Customer Question

2005 Chevy cobalt. The BCM 3 fuse (30 amp) blows after the car has been operating for about an hour. I initially thought there was a short in the system somewhere but the fuse remains good. Could this be a dragging blower motor that eventually needs more amperage than the fuse can handle? Anyone seen a similar problem?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 7 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
GM Tech (Cam) :

Welcome

GM Tech (Cam) :

We are in a live chat window now.

GM Tech (Cam) :

That fuse is for the blower motor. If that is popping then you have a blower motor that is drawing too much power.

GM Tech (Cam) :

YOu willneed to replace the blower motor for this issue.

Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So do you think that it's just drawing more power as it heats up? The last time I replaced the fuse it ran for about an hour before the fuse blew. I tend to think you've nailed it but I wanted to check with a Chevy expert to see if this has been noted before. My confusion is that the fan runs for, as I said, about an hour then blows.

As the motor heats up, it can slow down if failing. THis will draw higher amps and cause the fuse to pop.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Okay...thanks. Nice to have an expert confirm my thoughts.

Thanks for using Just Answer. If you want me to answer your next GM or GM product question, please put "For GMTECH Cam to Answer" and I should get it. Thanks and have a great day!!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I replaced the blower motor but it didn't solve the problem. I finally found a short in the wiring to the computer--almost impossible to find. I did, however, agree with you and thought the blower motor was the problem.
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 6 years ago.

DO you recall exactly where you found this wiring issue?