Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

1996 s10: pickup..4.3 I..blend door actuator..(air..heater box

Customer Question

I have a 1996 s10 pickup 4.3 I have to replace the heater blend door actuator (air door actuator) someone told me that it was located on top of the heater box and Iwill have to take the dash out. One, where is the heater box and Two, how do you take the dash out or what parts need to come off.
Thanks
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 7 years ago.

hi

the heater box is under the dash on the passenger side.you can replace this without removing the heater box..you need to remove the instrument panel..this may help you please print

thanks

Please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Temperature Valve Actuator Replacement

NOTE: The temperature valve actuator is located on top of the heater case.

REMOVE OR DISCONNECT

1. Negative battery cable. CAUTION: Before removing or installing any electrical units or when a tool or equipment could easily come in contact with "live" exposed electrical terminals, disconnect the negative battery cable to help prevent personal injury and/or damage to the vehicle or components. Unless instructed otherwise, the ignition switch must be in the "OFF" or "LOCK" position.
  2. Roll Instrument Panel back. (a) Remove instrument panel compartment door check straps. Use a small flat screwdriver to release the door check strap retainers. (b) Remove screws that retain the instrument panel compartment door hinges to the instrument panel. Remove instrument panel compartment door from the instrument panel. (c) Remove screws that retain the instrument panel compartment door striker from the instrument panel. (d) Remove screws that retain the instrument panel compartment door striker to the instrument panel. (e) Remove instrument panel compartment door striker from the instrument panel. (f) Remove screws that retain the instrument panel compartment bezel to the instrument panel. (g) Remove instrument panel compartment bezel from the instrument panel. (h) Remove electrical connectors from the instrument panel compartment lamp and switch assembly.
  3. Remove electrical connectors, as necessary.
  4. Remove retaining screws from temperature valve actuator.

INSTALL OR CONNECT

1. Temperature valve actuator retaining screws.
  2. Electrical connectors to the instrument panel compartment lamp and switch assembly.
  3. Roll Instrument Panel forward. Assemble in reverse order. Tighten screws to 1.9 N.m (17 lb in).
  4. Negative battery cable.
  5. Check circuit operation.
Instrument Panel Cluster Replacement

Description

Remove or Disconnect

1. Negative battery cable.
  2. Sound insulators.
  3. Steering column nuts. Lower for access.
  4. Instrument cluster bezel.
  5. For screws retaining cluster to instrument panel.
  6. Cluster from vehicle.

Install or Connect

1. Cluster to the instrument panel.
    • Firmly seat cluster onto the connector.
  1. Screws.
Tighten
  • Instrument cluster screws to 1.9 N.m (17 lb in).
  1. Instrument cluster bezel.
  2. Re-position steering column. Install retaining nuts.
Tighten
  • Steering column nuts to 27 N.m (20 lb ft).
  1. Sound insulators.
  2. Negative battery cable.