Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

HOW TO CHANGE REAER AXLE BEARING ON 2002 CHEVY TRACKER

7/22/2010
Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
you will need a slide hammer and a bearing press remover tool and a heavy press to press off the old bearing off the axle shaft.do you have access to those tools?if so what side rear bearing are you changing?drivers?or passenger side?
passenger side . yes to the tools
ok here is how to do it

• Tools Required
  • J 2619-01 Slide Hammer
  • J 22912-01 Split-Plate Bearing Puller
  • J 34866 Wheel Hub Remover
  • J 43631 Ball Joint Remover
  • J 45103 Axle Shaft Remover

Removal Procedure

1. Raise and support the vehicle.
  2. Place a drain pan or suitable container under the rear axle housing.

1. Remove the filler plug (1) from the rear axle housing.
  2. Remove the drain plug (2) and drain the oil from the rear axle housing.
  3. Remove the rear tire and wheel assembly.
  4. Remove the brake drum.

1. Remove the 4 nuts (4, 6) from the bearing retainer studs.
  2. If the vehicle has ABS, disconnect the wheel speed sensor (5) and position the sensor aside.

1. Install the J 45103 (2) to 2 wheel studs.
  2. Install the J 34866 (3) and 2 wheel nuts to the J 45103.
  3. Install the J 2619-01 (4) to the J 34866. Important: Use minimal force on the rear axle. Position the bearing retainer between the brake shoes and the springs.
  4. Remove the rear axle shaft and the bearing from the rear axle housing.

1. If the vehicle has ABS, use a grinder in order to flatten 2 opposite sides of the ABS reluctor wheel (1).
  2. Use a grinder in order to flatten 2 opposite sides of the rear axle shaft bearing retainer ring.

1. If the vehicle has ABS, use a hammer and a cold chisel in order to remove the ABS reluctor wheel (1).
  2. Use a hammer and a cold chisel in order to remove the rear axle shaft bearing retainer ring from the axle shaft (2).

1. Use the J 22912-01 and a hydraulic press in order to remove the rear axle shaft bearing (1) from the rear axle shaft.
17.1. Place the J 22912-01 on the rear axle shaft between the rear axle shaft bearing and the rear axle shaft bearing retainer.
17.2. Place the rear axle shaft in a hydraulic press. Slowly press the rear axle shaft bearing off the rear axle shaft.
  1. Remove the rear axle shaft bearing retainer from the rear axle shaft.
  2. Remove the seal from the retainer.
  3. Use the J 43631 or the hydraulic press in order to remove the 5 wheel studs from the axle flange.

Installation Procedure

1. Use the J 22912-01 and a hydraulic press in order to install the rear axle shaft bearing (1) onto the rear axle shaft.
1.1. With the concave side facing away from the rear axle shaft bearing, place the J 22912-01 on the rear axle shaft below the rear axle shaft bearing.
1.2. Place the rear axle shaft in a hydraulic press.
1.3. Slowly press the rear axle shaft bearing to its original position behind the rear axle shaft bearing retainer (3).
  1. If the vehicle has ABS, press fit the rear ABS reluctor wheel (2).
  2. Use the J 22912-01 and a hydraulic press in order to install the rear axle shaft bearing retainer ring (3) onto the rear axle shaft.
3.1. With the concave side facing away from the rear axle shaft bearing retainer ring, place the J 22912-01 on the rear axle shaft below the rear axle shaft bearing retainer ring.
3.2. Place the rear axle shaft in a hydraulic press.
3.3. Slowly press the rear axle shaft bearing retainer ring past the shaft taper to its original position behind the rear axle shaft bearing.
  1. Inspect the rear axle shaft inner oil seal for cuts or other damage. Replace the oil seal if necessary.
  2. Apply wheel bearing lubricant GM P/N(NNN) NNN-NNNN(Canadian P/N 993037), or equivalent, to the rear axle inner oil seal lip in the rear axle housing.
  3. Apply General Motors Sealer GM P/N(NNN) NNN-NNNN or equivalent, to the rear axle shaft bearing retainer ring mating surface on the brake backing plate.

1. Align the serrations on the wheel stud (1) with the serrations in the rear axle flange hole.
  2. Use a wheel nut (2) and a washer (3) in order to install the wheel stud.
  3. Remove the wheel nut and the washer from the wheel stud. Important: The length of the left axle shaft is different than the length of the right axle shaft.

1. Measure the left rear axle shaft length from the differential end of the shaft to the outside edge of the axle shaft flange. Specification The left rear axle shaft length is 711.5 mm (28.0 inch) .

1. Measure the right rear axle shaft length from the differential end of the shaft to the outside edge of the axle shaft flange. Specification The right rear axle shaft length is 757 mm (29.8 inch) . Important: Position the bearing retainer between the brake shoes and the springs.
  2. Install the rear axle shaft and bearing into the rear axle housing. Verify the rear axle shaft bearing is firmly seated into the rear axle housing. Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

1. Install the 4 nuts (4, 6) to the rear axle shaft retainer studs. Tighten the nuts to 23 Nm (17 ft. lbs.) .
  2. Install the rear brake drum.
  3. If the vehicle has ABS, install the wheel speed sensor (5).
  4. Install the rear tire and wheel assembly.
  5. Apply Teflon Pipe Sealant, GM P/N 12346004 (Canadian P/N 10953480), or equivalent, to the threaded portion of the drain plug.

1. Install the drain plug (2) into the rear axle housing. Tighten the rear plug to 25 Nm (18.4 ft. lbs.) .
  2. Refill the rear axle housing with approximately 2.2 liters (4.6 pints) of 80W-90 GL5 lubricant, GM P/N 12345977 (Canadian P/N 10953482), or equivalent. The oil level should be even with the bottom of the filler plug hole.
  3. Install the rear axle housing oil filler plug (1) into the rear axle housing. Tighten the plug to 43 Nm (31.7 ft. lbs.) .
  4. Remove the drain pan from under the rear axle housing.
  5. Lower the vehicle.

Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Gary
Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician