Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

hvac venting control - 1996 Silverado...screw..main control arms..flow

Customer Question
HVAC venting control - 1996...
HVAC venting control - 1996 Silverado. need some pics and part #s. There is a screw missing from one of the main control arms that directs the flow of air. Specifically, the arm that shuts the door to the defrost discharge is off the lever that actuates this little "door". anybody have that exploded view and parts list I can have?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Chevy
7/17/2010
Chevy Mechanic: GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician replied 7 years ago
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician

Greetings and Welcome to Just answer.

There is no screw missing, rather the arm has simply come off the door shaft. This is common. IF the parts of the actuator rods are all there you can install it.

Object Number: 258020  Size: SH

is there a snap ring to hold it in place? Why does it keep comming off? How can i fix the problem, and not just correct the symptom? I am a diesel mechanic so I have understanding.

A touch of silicone or glue should work. It is simply a poor design.

bummer. those darned engineers again..... That pic you sent isn't quite what I'm looking at but its close. Please correct me if I'm wrong... no disassembly required, it is just a difficult place to get at, up under the dash in about the center of the cab. (going by memory of last fall.)

Just above the fuel pedal, yes.

HOld on, if the eyelet end came off the lever on the door itself then a small flat retainer may work to hold it on.

and a little to the right... just about center... possably eve a little to the right of the center of the bell housing "hump".

no, the door end was still connected to the door, it is the other end that connects to the actuating lever that was off last time

Nope. left side above the fuel pedal.

could maybe be that far over... it is hard to bend and reach up in there... I got long arms that don't like to bend that way. I don't think there was a cover, the actuating arm is just tucked up in a very confined space, but exposed. the arm that came off closes the door on the left side, the smaller of the 2 openings for air to pass through. is that making any sense?
That all sounds correct.
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician

ok Cam, I'll be getting at that today. I am sorry to hear that there is no screw or retainer to hold that on. I'll try that dab of silicone and we'll see if lasts any longer. Thanks for the help. Probably the easiest $20 you'll make today. LOL

Have a GREAT DAY!!!

Gene in Wyoming

The retainer to try is the ones like they used to have that held the old cables on, a spring steel retainer or push on nut. Try one of those before glue.

Nope, don't need anyt more info. I remember the repair very well. You were absolutely correct on everything!!! The proper fix ( I think) is to redesign the actuator arm, so that the 90 degree end, that slips into the sleve on the door end, is about maybe 3/16 longer so that it protrudes out the other end of the sleve, and has a snap ring or "E" clip grove cut about a 1/16" or so from the end. That would keep that little bugger in there.

Thanks for the followup. All is good.

Have a Terrific Holiday Season!!!!!

Gene in Wyoming

GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician