Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Engine starts..fuel pump and replaced it along with the fuel filter…

Customer Question
Engine starts but immediately turns...
Engine starts but immediately turns off. Thought is was the fuel pump and replaced it along with the fuel filter. Any other suggestions to check? No engine codes are detected

98 Chevy Silverado Z71 V8 TBI
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chevy
6/30/2010
Chevy Mechanic: jim, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
jim
jim, ASE Certified Technician

Does the security light flash when you are cranking the vehicle?

No the security light does not flash when cranking.
We need to determine if the problem is spark related or fuel related. You can use a alternative fuel source and see if the vehicle will stay running. If you are not familar with this procedure it can be dangerous, and wouldn't recommand it. To check if it is a spark problem you can purchase and install a spark tester. It looks like a spark plug and you remove on of the plug wires and install the tester. Most part stores have these.