Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Camaro: a loud clicking/knocking noise- I..bent..culprit..loud noise…

Customer Question
I have a 1984 Chev...
I have a 1984 Chev. Camaro and it has developed a loud clicking/knocking noise- I changed all the push rods and found one bent, hoping that was the culprit but NO. Still have loud noise, I do not want to make guesses as to the problem, do not want to drive it for fear of major damage to the engine. I know it could be a valve or a lifter or the cam shaft. I am not really wanting to break down the engine but I will if that is the only solution. Do you have any suggestions?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chevy
6/29/2010
Chevy Mechanic: Super Mechanic, Master technician replied 8 years ago
Super Mechanic
Super Mechanic, Master technician

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

Does it knock when you rev it up a bit? (in park)

Sound like the bottom end maybe?

Does it do it in gear also?

.

Yes, it does knock when I rev the engine (increases) - goes along with speed of engine.

Sounds more like the top end not bottom end, also one of the rocker arms was really loose same one with bent push rod.

This is a 350 Chevy engine...forgot to list that.

What do you think?

The valve for the cylinder that had the bent rod might be bent, being that the rocker is loose. You can most times measure from the bottom of the valve spring to the top to compare it to the others. If the valve sticks closed it will give a "clack, clack, clack" sound when running.

If it's an exhaust valve you may not notice it with the performance or backfiring, where an intake valve will normally give a popping out the intake when running.

I will get back to you.

Okay, thanks

Just got in from work, just wondering about measuring the valve spring. So, if i measure it and it is shorter than the rest does that mean the valve is stuck closed or open? I noticed when putting that rocker arm back on that I had to tighten it more than the others to get the rocker where it was not loose.

Yes you will want to measure it while both valves are closed and if it is shorter that means it's stuck open some.