Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2002 Chevy: The third brake lite..fuses..pulling

Customer Question
I have a 2002 Chevy...
I have a 2002 Chevy S-10. The third brake lite does not work but all other brake lites work. I have check all fuses and I made the radio where it won't work by pulling a fuse. There is no power going to the third lite when the brake pedal is depressed. I have taken the brake switch off and inspected it and found no problems. Is there a connection on the wire coming down through the headliner to the switch that might be at fault? and how do I get my radio to work again? Old Car guy
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chevy
6/29/2010
Chevy Mechanic: Don Knight, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Don Knight
Don Knight, ASE Certified Technician
On your truck you have a relay that controls power to the center mounted stop light.It is the under hood fuse block.You will need to check the fuse that reads VECHMSL as when the relay closes this is where the power comes from to the stop light.Please let me know what you find,Don
That relay [vechmsl] controls all the brake lights. The 20 amp fuse right next to it is the fuse for the circuit. If the brake lights in the back work, which they do, would it not stand to reason that it would not be the relay? Does the relay have two seperate circuits one for the back and one for the third brake light? I really hate to start replacing things unless I know what I'm replacing them for. Thank you
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I asked why the third brake light doesn't work and the answer was that the relay was at fault. The relay controls all the brake lights and the brake lights on the back of the truck work. I then asked if the relay controlled two circuits and got no answer.
The center brake light is on a separate circuit,like I first stated . Did you check the fuse like I asked. Your other brake lights work off the brake switch which energizes the high mount stop lamp relay.The fuse for the center mount lamp is a 10Amp fuse not the 20amp fuse for the rear brake lights. It should be labeled VECHMSL.Please let me know if that fuse is OK.Thanks,Don
Don Knight
Don Knight, ASE Certified Technician
Yes I checked the fuse before I came to this site so I know it is good. I checked every fuse in the truck and they are all good. Could it be the brake lite switch on the pedal? Does the switch split the circuits there or are they split at the fuse block? Anyway I thank you for your effort I went to my local dealer and he said they would just have to hunt it down at 100 dollars an hour I don't think I can afford that.

You have a white wire that splits off at the brake switch that goes to the VECHMSL fuse.On the other side of this fuse is a light blue wire that goes to the center mounted stop light.If you are not getting power to the stop light your problem is in that wire that is it. It is a simple circuit. I wish I could be of more help but like i said it is a simple circuit.Good luck,Don

Well I guess when you check every fuse and it still doesn't work you need to reread what you told me. After rereading what you said I found that the fuse hole was empty and the third light has never worked since I have had the truck for 3 years. This was the first time an inspector caught it and I became aware. Sometimes I guess I can't see the tree for the woods. The light is fixed and it is with great thanks I owe it to you. Roy
Im glad that you found your problem if you are satisfied with my help please press accept so that I may get paid.Thanks,Don