Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2005 GMC: pickup..a slight clunking in the rear since I..stopping…

Customer Question
I own a 2005 GMC...
I own a 2005 GMC quadrasteer pickup which has had a slight clunking in the rear since I bought the truck. I hear it when taking off, and often when stopping. Sometimes weeks will pass without hear or feeling the clunk. Numerous mechanics have looked at the problem, with no one solving it. We removed the spare, drive line tighted the springs. ad nauseum with not luck. It feels like something in the back is moving forward slightly, like when you have your hitch play when towing a trailer, except this does it without the trailer. Could the bed be loose, the brakes sliding? What are the possibilities?
Mark
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chevy
6/29/2010
Chevy Mechanic: BOBBYSS, Master Technician replied 8 years ago
BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
HelloCustomer this is usually a problem with the drive line. It is common for the slip joint in the drive line to fail. If the drive line is solid and does not have a slip joint then look into the output shaft bushing,
I tried to explain that the drive line is not the problem, nor according to GMC and numerous reporting agencies has it been a problem. The drive line was removed, thoroughly inspected, greased and replaced with no results. Stopping, or accelerating does cause the problem, however, a clunk would not result from stopping if the slip joint were to fail--which would produce a more dramatic, and likely castastrophic failure. This has been a problem for over five years and has got no worse, nor improved; except for an occassional hiatus of four or five days. TSB 270901 states, "Some vehicles equiped with 4-wheel drive, extended cabs, or short beds experience bups or cluk on stop or acceleration." My interest is to stop this irritating habit by learning what it is that causes this.
If the driveline is definitely fine then the problem is in the transfercase output shaft bushing. This bushing allows the driveline to move up and down and cause this noise.