Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2005 IMPALA: MILES...I HAD WAS THE SPEED SENSOR..NEW ONE..PROBLEM.

Customer Question
I HAVE A 2005 IMPALA...
I HAVE A 2005 IMPALA WITH 88,000 MILES. THE FIRST PROBLEM I HAD WAS THE SPEED SENSOR. I REPLACED IT WITH A USED AND WITH A NEW ONE, NEITHER SOLVED THE PROBLEM. THE ODOMETER IS AFFECTED SOMETIMES. THE SPEEDOMETER @ 65 AND UP SOMETIMES READS PROPERLY AND SOMETIMES IT WILL GO TO 125 AND PAST THAT AND STICK THERE UNTIL I TURN OFF THE IGNITION. THE TRACTION BUTTON DOES NOT AFFECT THE TRAC SYSTEM WHEN IT IS PUSHED. THE TRAC OFF LIGHT STAYS ON MOST OF THE TIME AS WELL AS THE ABS LIGHT.
I CHANGED ALL FOUR ABS SENSORS ON A 2002 AND IT NEVER SOLVED THE PROBLEM AND I FINALLY SOLD IT THAT WAY.
AN6Y IDEAS ABOUT THE 2005?
DAVE [email protected]
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chevy
6/29/2010
Chevy Mechanic: Eric, Master Technician/shop foreman replied 8 years ago
Eric, Master Technician/shop foreman
Hi, as far as the speedometer problem, It sounds like you have a bad instrument panel cluster. The only way to know for sure would be with a scan tool, reading the vehicle speed while comparing it to the dash reading. As far as the trac lite goes, if the abs light is on, it automatically disables the traction control system. Again your best bet is to have the system scanned and see what codes you come up with. If you can get that done, and post the codes, i will be happy to further assist you. Thanks, Eric

ERIC, I HAVE READ SVEERAL COMMENTS ON THE IMPALA TOPIC LINE AND IT SOUNDS LIKE A CONNECTION PROBLEM TO ME BASED ON WHAT I READ.

THANKS FOR TRYING BUT YOU MIGHT GO TO JUST ANSWER AND TYPE IN CHEVY IMPALA(NNN) NNN-NNNNAND THERE WERE 310 PEOPLE W/PROBLEMS LIKE MINE. THE MAJORITY SOLUTIONS WERE TO FIX CONNECTION PROBLEMS AT THE SENSORS. THE WIRE HARNESS IS TOO SMALL OF GAUGE TO HOLD UP.

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME

DAVE

Okay, good luck with that. thanks, Eric