Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Converter..cause vacuum from lift pump to callapse fuel tank…

Customer Question
If a catyletic converter was...
If a catyletic converter was removed because it needed to be replaced,but instead was not replaced,would that affect the fuel venting that is vented thru the fuel cap and cause vacuum from lift pump to callapse fuel tank
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/28/2010
Chevy Mechanic: GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician replied 8 years ago
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician

Greetings and Welcome to Just answer.

No the converter has nothing to do with the venting of the fuel tank. IN these, the only part that can be the issue is the fuel cap itself.

It is common for the caps to fail and the tank to collapse. I would suggest a different fuel cap brand if you are having this happen repeatedly.

I have replaced the cap and replaced it oem cap that was on the tank when the truck was purchased.

Still, the cap is the only device on your vehicle that will cause this. The fuel pump draws the fuel and the cap must be able to vent. If it does not, then the tank collapsing is the result.

I have replaced (5) tanks Fuel vent hose,fuel fill hose ,(2) fuel caps OEM.tanks are still imploding,how can I tell when the fuel caps are not venting.

Easiest way is hissing when you go to open the cap.