Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

How do I program a remote for a 1999 chevy K 2500 truck?

Customer Question
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chevy
6/27/2010
Chevy Mechanic: Ron Z., - Chevy Tech - replied 8 years ago
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -

• Start with the ignition OFF, hold down the power unlock button on the door panel. Turn ignition key ON, OFF, ON, OFF. Release power unlock button on the door panel. The locks will cycle once.
  • Hold down the key FOB lock and unlock buttons for 15 seconds . The locks will again cycle once.
  • Repeat step #2 for each additional key FOB.
  • Turn the ignition on to exit the key FOB programming mode. Programming is now complete.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Resynchronization may be necessary due to the security method used by the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) system.

The transmitter does not send the same signal twice to the receiver.

The receiver will not respond to a signal which has been previously sent. This prevents anyone from recording and playing back the signal from the transmitter.

Resynchronization will be necessary if any of the following are true:

• You change the transmitter battery.
  • You disconnect the vehicle battery.
  • You push the transmitter button 256 times out of the range of the receiver.

In order to resynchronize the transmitter with the receiver, perform the following steps:

1. Stand close to the vehicle.
  2. Simultaneously press and hold the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the transmitter for 7 seconds .

The door locks should cycle to confirm resynchronization.

I have tried what you suggested several times before I asked here and the truck will not go into programming mode. Sometimes the luck/unlock button will not work on the driver's side. I've seen other sites that recommend jumping pins 8 and 4 on the OBD ll will this work for my make and model or do I need to try something else.

Ok. That is the only proceduire i have. I will opt-out and forward you to another Tech that may better assist you. Sit tight one sec, someone will be right with you...

Chevy Mechanic: GMWrencher, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
GMWrencher
GMWrencher, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, I will do my best to help answer your General Motors Vehicle questions.

Ill give it a shot. Is this the older body style 99 or newer Silverado 99. Big difference here.

Edited by GMWrencher on 6/28/2010 at 12:31 AM EST
older body style 99

Yours being most likely a base line truck, The procedure is outlined as follows..

Make sure your remote is in good working order. Many time places like radio shack have a tester you can use to test to see if the remote is producing a frequency.

If they key is in the ON position during the programming procedure, the horn chirp will be disabled, if the key is in the OFF position, the horn chirp will be enabled. The horn will chirp when the lock button is pressed two times.

When reprogramming the remote control door lock receiver, All transmitters must be programmed at this time in order for the transmitters to operate the vehicle. Transmitters not programed at this time will not work and the procedure will have to be redone with all the transmitters.

Ground pin 4 to pin 8 of the data link connector.
The receiver will respond by locking and unlocking the doors, and activating the lift gate window release (if equipped) within 2 seconds.

Press and hold the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons simultaneously on the first transmitter to be programmed until the locks cycle (approximately 10 seconds).
Repeat step 2 for up to four total transmitters to be programmed (if available).
The receiver will respond by locking and unlocking the doors and activating the lift gate window release (if equipped) within 2 seconds.

Remove the ground applied to the DLC.
Lock and unlock the doors in order to verify the transmitter operation.
Activate the rear window release in order to verify the transmitter operation

GMWrencher
GMWrencher, ASE Certified Technician