Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy: Gas will only pump very slowly into the gas tank

My son has a Chevy...
My son has a Chevy silverado SS. Gas will only pump very slowly into the gas tank. What could be the problem? He says he sees and feels nothing inside the tank
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/27/2010
Eric, Master Technician/shop foreman
So you are saying that when he puts gas in the pump nozzle keeps kicking off and its hard to fill? If so you may have a restriction in the evaporative emissons system. Under the truck near or on the gas tank, you will see a canister. It will have at least one larger rubber hose attached to it. Unhook that hose and see if its easier to fill the truck. Let me know what you find. Thanks, ERic
Eric, Master Technician/shop foreman
He has a 2005 SS Silverado. Where would the canister be? We do see a line coming off of the gas input It looks like it goes back into the main fuel line.And yes the pump nozzle keeps kicking off.
It is mounted near the fuel tank, If you look at the tank, you will see at least one large rubber line (may be black plastic) coming off the tank. follow it and it should go to the evap vent canister. It may be hidden under a shield on the end of the tank. Let me know. Thanks, Eric