Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2001 Chevy: My electric seat..module

Customer Question
My electric seat on my...
My electric seat on my 2001 Chevy will not work .Matt told me it wasn`t a module because it doesnt have one. He ask what works and what doesn`t. The Lumbar works, and the Heated part works. That is all that works.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chevy
6/27/2010
Chevy Mechanic: Matt Carey, Chevy Technician replied 8 years ago
Matt Carey
Matt Carey, Chevy Technician
Hey , MATT here. I responded to your original post. Did you mean to start a new post for the same question? If so , and you are looking for a second/ third opinion, let me know. And I can opt out. But I will gladly help you figure out the problem, if you like.
No Matt I don`t want you to opt out. I need hellp figuring out waht is wrong with my seat. The Lumbar works,and the Heatd portion works. But that is it. It will not go forward or backwards and will not go up or down and the back will not adjust. Please help me.
Okay, I was just confused when I saw a new post, and didn't want to assume anything. Did you get my response to your first post? MATT
yes I did you ask me What works and what doesnt. I have answered that

Okay Something must have gotten lost. No big deal, but you didn't need to open a new question.

Anyways, If the Lumbar works, then the seat circuit breaker is good. This breaker also powers the power seat switches. If both the driver and pass. power seats don't work, then first check for power into the switches at the orange wire. Here's a diagram. Let me know. MATTgraphic

Matt, the Lumbar in the drivers seat works and everything on the passenger side works. What else do you need to know. Its a long walk to get to it.

It seems that we have a communication problem. Sorry.

You need to check for power at the orange wire to the driver seat switch, and that you have a good ground at the black wire to the driver seat switch. If you have both, then the switch is bad. If you do not have power and/or ground, we need to find out why. Let me know. MATT

Matt, I cannot answer that in a short period of time. I have to call my son and have him to come check that stuff for me. So what you are saying is if I have power coming in which I am sure we do because the Lumbar works, then it is a bad switch. Since the seat wont go forward or backwards is that one switch, And if it wont go up and down is that another switch, and since the back of the seat won`t move is that another switch or is there one switch going to all 3. Also I dont know when to hit the Accept Answer botton because last time I did that I lost you.

No problem, I'm not sure why yo lost me. You should be able to respond the original post/ question whether you have accepted or not. Some people accept right away, and we continue to talk for days. And some wait a while. It shouldn't matter.

The lumbar sw. is separate from the seat position sw.. They do get power from the same orange wire, but it could be a connector problem. Look under the seat for a connector with the orange wire, unplug it and check for burnt terminals. But if you have good power and ground to the sw. then the sw. is bad. Hope this makes sense. MATT

It makes since.I`m just not sure what you are calling a switch. If you are talking about the controls then there are one horizontal control and one vertical control. so can you explain what you mean by SWITCH
Sure, sorry. By switch, I mean the seat control switches. If I'm correct ,the lumbar switch is separate from the position switch (horizontal and vertical). If you look at the connectors to the switches, I think you'll see what I mean. Hope this makes sense, please ask anything you need. MATT
Matt Carey
Matt Carey, Chevy Technician
Well actually there are 3, 1 controls lower half of seat as well as forward and backwards, 2 controls the upper half of the seat leaning seat forward and backwards, and 3 is the lumbar controls. So that makes it possible that 2 of them went out at the same time. I agree we more that likely we have a bad connection somewhere unless there is an inline fuse to each. Do you agree!
Also should I be able buy theses contols at any Dealer???

Yes I agree (connection problem likely). Shouldn't be any in line fuses. Once you get to the truck, with a test light/ or volt meter, you should have no problem testing it. You might even see the problem, by looking at the connector terminals unplugged.

For some reason, (I might be wrong), I thought the lumbar control switch had it's own connector. MATT

Yes, any GM dealer should have what you need. Just have your VIN ready.