Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

96 lumina: I changed the speed sensor..speedometer was not very stable…

Customer Question
I changed the speed sensor...
I changed the speed sensor on my 96 lumina 4 door. The speedometer was not very stable before but now it dosen't work at all and the transmission dosen't shift from first unless i go 50 to make it shift.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chevy
6/27/2010
Chevy Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 8 years ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

Do you have a volt/ohmmeter? If so, then you need to test the new VSS to see if it is defective. If it tests good, then you have a short/open in the wiring harness(possibly a broken wire at the connector during installation of new sensor.

VSS TEST:

CAUTION The following test will require the vehicle to be raised OFF the ground, with the engine running and the transmission in D. Extreme caution must be used when raising and supporting the vehicle, otherwise personal and/or vehicle damage may occur.

1. Raise and safely support the vehicle.
  2. Detach the VSS wire connector located on the transmission housing.
  3. Connect an ohmmeter between the terminals of the speed sensor. Should be between 190-250 ohms.
  4. Place the vehicle in Drive and allow the wheels to rotate. The ohmmeter should fluctuate. If it does not, or the ohmmeter reading is not within specification, replace the sensor.
  5. Apply the brake, place the vehicle in park, then turn the ignition OFF .
  6. Attach the harness connector to the VSS.
  7. Carefully lower the vehicle.
I need more time before I can accept the answer

You can accept after you are able to test the vss and confirm it is bad, or if not, you can come back ask for more help

I will talk latter tomorrow when I go to lunch. My Voltmeter is at work

ok, sounds good