Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

p-0200 which is fuel injector malfunction in #2 cylinder..run good…

The code check on my...
The code check on my durimax comes up p-0200 which is fuel injector malfunction in #2 cylinder. It will let me clear the code then the truck runs fine until it sets overnight then the sme thing again. Just wondering if I can change the sensor on the injector as I would think that if the injector was bad the truck would not run good at all. Thanks
6/27/2010
Mark
Mark, ASE Certified Technician
Greetings, my name is Mark.

There is no code as you have stated. P0200 is not a valid code for the D-max. Regardless, there is an issue with the number 2 injector. It has to do with the injector harness connector. There are no sensors on each injector.

The injector connector circuits on cylinders 2 and 7 are not fully supported near the connector and are more susceptible to terminal breakage from engine vibration.

Below I have included the repair procedure for fixing the connector on number 2.

Correction

If published diagnostics lead to an injector connector, install the revised 90 degree connector and the harness support bracket from the service kit, P/N 98017958, using the following repair procedures.

Repair Procedure for Left Bank Cylinder Number 2

1. Disconnect the negative battery cables. Refer to Service Information (SI) for the Battery Negative Cable Disconnect/Connect Procedure (Single Battery) and Battery Negative Cable Disconnect/Connect Procedure (Auxiliary Battery).
  2. Remove the left wheelhouse panel. Refer to Service Information (SI) for the Wheelhouse Panel Replacement.
  3. Remove the left charge air cooler inlet pipe. Refer to Service Information (SI) for the Charged Air Cooler Hoses/Pipes Replacement (Left).

4. Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

5. Disconnect cylinder number 2 and cylinder number 4 fuel injector harness connectors.

6. Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

7. Remove the cylinder number 2 glow plug connector nut and remove the cylinder number 2 glow plug harness connector from the glow plug.

8. Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

9. Remove the fuel injector harness bracket bolt.

10. Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

11. Cut the tape to remove the fuel injector harness bracket and discard the bracket.

12. Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

13. Cut cylinder number 2 fuel injector connector off the engine harness approximately 38.1 mm (1.5 in) away from the base of the connector.
  14. Important: It is not necessary to maintain the same polarization of the injector circuits.

15. Strip approximately ¼ inch of insulation from both fuel injector circuits and, using the supplied Duraseal® connectors, crimp the new 90 degree fuel injector connector to the engine harness.
  16. Use an Ultra Torch, or equivalent, to shrink the tubing and set the glue in the Duraseal® connectors.
  17. Secure the Duraseal® connectors with electrical tape.

18. Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

19. Position the new injector harness bracket to align with the bracket bolt hole and secure to the harness with electrical tape.
  20. Install the new injector harness bracket and original bolt.
  21. Tighten
    Tighten the fuel injector harness bracket bolt to 10 N·m (89 lb in).

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

22. Install the cylinder number 2 glow plug harness connector and nut.
  23. Tighten
    Tighten the glow plug harness connector nut to 2 N·m (18 lb in).

24. Connect the cylinder number 2 and cylinder number 4 fuel injector harness connectors.
  25. Install the left charge air cooler inlet pipe. Refer to Service Information (SI) for the Charged Air Cooler Hoses/Pipes Replacement (Left).
  26. Install the left wheelhouse panel. Refer to Service Information (SI) for the Wheelhouse Panel Replacement.
Mark
Mark, ASE Certified Technician

So I need to get part # XXXXX 98017958 from my GM dealer and that should do the fix - I think the code was P2002. Also how do I know which is #2 cylinder?

Thanks

Todd

Hey Todd.......I thank you so very much for the payment.

YES, the part number is XXXXX the repair kit you'll need to repair the injector connector.

But I am hesitant to answer your question as to which is number 2. Cause I know you read the repair instructions. Laughing LOL......

Number 2 is on the left side. Driver's side. ...First one...........

A handshake my friend..............
Mark