Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Hvac..AC kicks on still blows hot air..actuator

Hvac always blows hot air...
Hvac always blows hot air. AC kicks on still blows hot air. I think it's the actuator. Where is it and how do I fix it?
6/27/2010
GMWrencher
GMWrencher, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, I will do my best to help answer your General Motors Vehicle questions.

Does your mode door switch from floor to face to defrost etc?

Does the temperature change at all even slightly form cold to hot..hot to cold?

Do you hear the fan get louder when you choose from normal a/c to max a/c like when the recirculation door opens?

Do you have AUTO temp control?

Edited by GMWrencher on 6/27/2010 at 2:53 PM EST

Does your mode door switch from floor to face to defrost etc? Yes

Does the temperature change at all even slightly form cold to hot..hot to cold? No always the same temp.

Do you hear the fan get louder when you choose from normal a/c to max a/c like when the recirculation door opens? No

Do you have AUTO temp control? No

Chances are you are right, the temperature blend door actuator is bad, but on occasion I have had S/T series trucks things dropped down into the defrost vent and it finds it way down and blocks the door from moving. The way to check this is to removed the actuator and then just twist the shaft to see if you can hear the door bump each stop. Usually can twist the shaft about 45 degrees. Now the not so easy part is getting the actuator of the box. It is located behind the glove box on the top of the HVAC case. The correct way to remove it is to remove the entire dash out of the truck and access it easily. You can ,if you have a 1/4 air ratchet and a universal/flex 5.5 mm socket, very tightly remove the 2 or 3 bolts (depending on application), that hold the actuator in place. Its tight to access, but it can be done. Below is a diagram where the actuator is located. It is pointed out as #1.

I hope this answers you question. I can ONLY receive credit by you accepting my answer. We can even still discuss repairs after you Accept.

graphic

GMWrencher
GMWrencher, ASE Certified Technician
Thanks for accepting. Let me know if you need any more answers for this issue