Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

impala: easiest way to change an ignition switch..dealership..passlock…

Customer Question
What's the easiest way to...
What's the easiest way to change an ignition switch in a 02 impala without spending a fortune at the dealership. Is there a way to get around the passlock system??
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chevy
6/27/2010
Chevy Mechanic: cartech, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
cartech
cartech, ASE Certified Technician
the ignition cylinder is all thats bad not the ignition switch its pretty easy to change
I know that much, it's the GM passlock B.S that concerns me... is that a concern or a problem?
no if you change the cylinder it has the passlock sensor in it and the new sensor should fix all the problems
cartech
cartech, ASE Certified Technician
ok,,we shall see what happends
you will need to do a relearn on the new cylinder do you know how to do that
no...
turn the key to start and release the security light will go out after ten minutes turn the key off do not remove from the ignition repeat the process 3 times total and the relearn is complete
sound simple, you had me nervous... everything i'm reading online is talking about a scanners and VTD's.
good luck