Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Classic: the control module for the coils? it..pcm..check engine light…

Customer Question
05 classic 2.2L intermitently wont...
05 classic 2.2L intermitently wont start or will die when running, checked voltage at the module on top of the engine i assume thats the control module for the coils? it was about 7 volts car wont start also checked voltage at pcm ign, ign mod fuses same 7 volts, also at these times the fuel pump does not cycle, and the check engine light does not come on when iturn the key on. i know on fords the check engine light shows power to the pcm i asuume chevy is the same? every time the check engine light is on when the key is in on pos car will start everytime, and also the previous voltages will all read battery voltage when its running im thinking its maybethe pcm or some other module,i hate electrical problems, anybody have any ideas i'd appreciate it, thank you.. Shane
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chevy
6/26/2010
Chevy Mechanic: GMWrencher, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
GMWrencher
GMWrencher, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, I will do my best to help answer your General Motors Vehicle questions.

I beleive you thinking too deep. When it does run bad, or not start, what does it take to get it running again?

it never runs bad, either it wont start or it sometimes will die coming to a stop or when leaving a stoplight to get it started again is a crapshoot you just try and try until it starts. but like i said earlier when i first turn the key on and the check engine light is on it always starts and if its not on it never starts, thank you for responding ive been waiting for about an hour and havent gotten a response until you

Sorry, for the delay..I just was checking in. Sorry you had to wait. Judging by your description and having past experience with this exact issue, you most likely have an Ignition Switch Electrical portion going bad, or a problem with the terminals at the ignition switch. It creates a substantial voltage drop thats why you are finding 7 volts around the car on some parts. You cycling the key may correct the condition for a key cycle, but the next time it may fail again. Id go straight for that switch.

Edited by GMWrencher on 6/26/2010 at 11:45 PM EST
GMWrencher
GMWrencher, ASE Certified Technician
would the switch also cause the fuel pump not to cycle on?

If the SES lamp (check engine) isn't on then the ECM isn't powered up correctly. If its not powered up, it will never command the pump to turn on. So yes that Ignition Switch can cause a number of different issues.

I have to leave for a while but will check back in later. It surely sounds like a bad Ignition Switch. You need the electrical portion only. There are 3 parts to your entire switch. The lock cylinder, the passkey case, and then the electrical portion. You need to be sure to get the right one. I

where is the switch located? also the key tumbler isnt part of the ignition switch right i dont want to get the wrong part

The switch itself is located directly behind the key itself. It is a little aggravating to remove. I generally remove by removing the key face plate, radio and HVAC controls. It just gives a little more room to maneuver. The hardest part is releasing the shift/lock cable that is attached to the electrical portion. No way I can tell you how to do it, it takes tight hands and a pick to release it.

No the key cylinder and tumblers pull out of the electrical portion, after you remove the entire assembly out of the dash. Its not a very hard job, just can be tight and aggravating.