Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy suburban: air conditioner..blowing..We had it serviced, but came…

Customer Question
I have a l996 checy...
I have a l996 checy suburban and the front air conditioner is not blowing hard.
Its cold but not blowing hard. We had it serviced, but came back this way
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chevy
6/26/2010
Chevy Mechanic: Tim West, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Thanks for visiting Just Answr,
Can you hear the blower change speeds?

actually no. its the same speed. Its cold but not blowing far.

Well, if the speed isn't changing and you already replaced the blower switch, it's likely the blowe resistor is bad.
Replace the resistorgraphic

Main Unit

1 Screw, 2 Resistor, 3 Relay Bracket, 4 Relay

Remove or Disconnect

1. Negative battery cable.
  2. Roll instrument panel back.
  3. Plenum tray.
  4. Electrical connectors, as necessary.
  5. Screws.
  6. Blower motor resistor.

Install or Connect

1. Blower motor resistor.
  2. Tighten screws to 1.9 Nm (17 lb in) .
  3. Electrical connectors, as necessary.
  4. Plenum tray.
  5. Roll instrument panel forward.
  6. Negative battery cable.
    • Check circuit operation.
I will wait for my husband to tell him and get back to you. ThanksWink
Thanks let me know.
Are you still here? Remeber you do not pay the expert until you hit accept. You still only have made a deposit.

Yesterday, when you asked me I heard the blower change speeds. I said NO.

today I tried and YES i can hear it change seeds. But at High, its not blowing hard.

Usually it hits my face and my hair blows, this time it does not blow to my face.

Thanks,
When the blower motor works normally, but the air flow from the air ducts is reduced in any position, the exterior of the A/C evaporator may be coated with dirt and debris from oil leaking out of the evaporator. Since all the air for the heater and A/C systems flows through the A/C evaporator first, these deposits reduce the volume of air available to the climate control system. If the volume of air coming from the heater and A/C system is less than normal in all positions and all modes, inspect the exterior of the evaporator for a coating of oil and dirt. If the evaporator is coated, repair the leak in the evaporator or replace it. On some vehicles, the evaporator may be inspected by removing the blower motor or blower motor resistor/module assembly and using a mirror and flashlight.

Evaporator/ Heater Core Case

Remove or Disconnect

1. Negative battery cable.
  2. Engine coolant.
  3. Recover refrigerant.
  4. Instrument panel. See: Instrument Panel, Gauges and Warning Indicators\Instrument Cluster / Carrier\Service and Repair
  5. Electrical connectors, as necessary.
  6. Center floor air distribution duct.
  7. ECM and mounting tray (diesel engines only).
  8. Hinge pillar trim panels.
  9. Blower motor cover.
  10. Blower motor (60).
  11. Steering column.
  12. Tilt back instrument panel assembly.
  13. Coolant recovery reservoir.
  14. Heater hoses.
  15. Evaporator tube.
  16. Accumulator.
  17. Screws (52 and 64).
  18. Nut (50).
  19. Screw (56).
  20. Module assembly (57).
    • May be necessary to have an assistant when removing module assembly.
  1. Evaporator case bottom cover plate (63).
    • Remove the seven screws that hold the cover plate to the module assembly.
  1. Heater core and seal from module assembly.
  2. Evaporator case cover (61).
    • Remove the four screws that hold the case cover to the module assembly.
  1. Evaporator core.

Install or Connect

1. Evaporator core.
  2. Evaporator case cover (61).
    • Install the four screws that hold the case cover to the module assembly.
  1. Heater core and seal into module assembly.
  2. Evaporator case bottom cover plate (63).
    • Install the seven screws that hold the cover plate to the module assembly.
  1. Module assembly (57).
    • May be necessary to have an assistant when installing module assembly.
  1. Screw (56).
  2. Nut (50).
  3. Screws (52 and 64). Tighten
    • Screw (56) to 11 Nm (97 lb in) .
    • Nut (50) to 2.8 Nm (25 lb in) .
    • Screws (52 and 64) to 1.9 Nm (17 lb in) .
  1. Accumulator.
  2. Evaporator tube.
  3. Heater hoses.
  4. Coolant recovery reservoir.
  5. Instrument panel.
  6. Steering column.
  7. Blower motor (60).
  8. Blower motor cover.
  9. Hinge pillar trim panels.
  10. ECM and mounting tray.
  11. Center floor air distribution duct.
  12. Electrical connectors, as necessary.
  13. Engine coolant.
  14. Negative battery cable.
  15. Charge system.
  16. Check system for leaks.