Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

A 2006 Optra with 60000 km..diagnostic..Censor..Circuit Malfunction…

Customer Question
I have a 2006 Optra...
I have a 2006 Optra with 60000 km on it and it's been acting up. Got a computer diagnostic and it came up with code P0705 (Transmission Range Censor Circuit Malfunction). My car is shifting hard getting confused between gears which causes the computer to flash not being able to read between D,R,N, etc. Even though my car reads drive after the computer stops flashing, the acceleration feels as if it's in 3rd or 1st gear.The engine light comes on. This problem fixes itself regularly just to have it happen again. I was wondering if this small part of the vehicle can really actually cause all this problem in my car? Is this part expensive to replace? Thanks.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chevy
6/26/2010
Chevy Mechanic: goodwrench9124, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
goodwrench9124
goodwrench9124, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome. yes this part can cause so many problems. this is actually a park neutral switch. this part tell the transmission control module what gear range it is supposed to be in. if the system does see the correct info, it can cause the trans to shift hard, or not at all.

The transmission range (TR) switch is located on the selector shaft and informs the transmission control module (TCM) of the current selector lever position P-R-N-D-3-2-1.

The selector lever position is transmitted to the TCM in encoded form along 4 lines. The encoding is such that malfunctions in the connecting lead are identified.

The TR switch is located on the selector shaft, which is connected to the selector lever via a pull cable. In addition, the TR switch controls the starter interlock, the reverse lights and the selector lever position indicator on the instrument panel.

Thanks for the reply. So do I need to take this in to mechanic and have a new switch replaced? Is this costly for the part?
yes, that is correct. don't have the exact price for the switch. I don't believe it is too pricey. but this really needs to be taken care of.