Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Why does my fuel filter go from 100% to 0% in 500 miles?

Customer Question
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chevy
6/26/2010
Chevy Mechanic: ironmike, ASE Master tech replied 8 years ago
ironmike
ironmike, ASE Master tech

greetings,

where are you getting fuel? did they use the new filter design?

(part # XXXXX)

yes that is the gm filter # XXXXX and i try to use new truck stops (flying j, pilot)

oooooooohhhhh. the worst diesel fuel. I thought of pilot right away.

For these injectors and injector pumps the fuel quality and changing filters key to long life.

good luck

<p>who has good diesel fuel ? I  have a '04 duramax with 425,000 mi never put any injectors in it.  I use fuel addatives to try to keep system clean and improve fuel.</p>

Some people like their local stations. I have used HESS(cheap) and Sunoco(expensive) and the local cumberland. Where do you live?

wow, 425 and no injectors.

you should call GM, they should award you.

I live in atlanta but i run over road (east us) . is there a restriction out of my fuel filter causing my filter life to run down quick. But it don't do it every trip. Could it be electrical ?

do you reset the light? if so how?

yes, scroll to fuel filter then hold down button on dash till 100% comes up. this filter in it now i've reset it 3 or 4 times in 3 or 4 days, the truck is running fine!

do you have a tuner or is the truck stock?

Starting in 2005 on vehicles equipped with the 6.6L Diesel engine have a new DIC message "Change Fuel Filter". Information about this message and how to reset it can be found on page 3-8 of the Diesel Supplement Owners Manual or SI Document ID #(NNN) NNN-NNNN The DIC will display "Fuel Filter Life Percent" on trucks equipped with RPO UK3 (Steering Wheel Controls). This feature will provide the percentage of fuel filter life remaining. The fuel filter life is based strictly off mileage. Once reset to 100 Percent it takes 15,000 miles for it to count down to 0 Percent and display "Change Fuel Filter" on the DIC

Recommendation/Instructions:
This is normal operation of the system to read 0 Percent with the key on and engine off; once the engine is started the fuel filter life percentage will read correctly.

If the fuel filter life does not update properly once the engine is started, there have been several cases of aftermarket equipment or ECM power up programs causing these concerns. In some cases, even the most unlikely aftermarket equipment (Radios, DVD systems, Remote starts) have caused these concerns and MUST be removed from the vehicle before any further diagnostic is done.
Diagnostic Tip: There is no parameter in any of the ECM Tech 2 data lists to view the Fuel Filter Life Percent. But it can be viewed with the Tech 2 in Special Functions/Fuel System/Fuel Filter Life Reset (some later models will have the "Fuel Filter Life Reset" under Module Setup). While diagnosing a concern of the IPC Fuel Filter Life Percentage not being correct, view the ECM Fuel Filter Life Percentage with the Tech 2 and see if they are the same or not. If the ECM seems correct but the IPC is incorrect the most likely cause is due to aftermarket equipment.
found from GM

The truck has a Banks 6 gun programmer. Every time I reset the fuel filter the engine was running. The gauge will start running down properly, When I leave on a trip I'll check it and it will be on 80% or 90% or what ever, and when I get where I'm going I'll check it and it will be on 0% the truck hasn't been shut off, but it doesn't do it every time.
I am curious so I will keep looking.