Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

camaro: At cruise..3200 rpm will pop (slightly) and hesitate..smooth…

Customer Question
89 iroc camaro 305 5...
89 iroc camaro 305 5 speed TPI. At cruise, between 2700 and 3200 rpm will pop (slightly) and hesitate. Will accel through it smooth as silk. above and below it's smooth. Will do it in any gear, even in nuetral, just holdoing the rpm. Have recently overhauled the engine (pulls really strong) new distributor, coil, TPS, and every sensor but the maf (ran out of $$). from what I can tell, there is no map sensor. I'm out of ideas. Any help?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 day by:
6/27/2010
Chevy Mechanic: GMWrencher, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
GMWrencher
GMWrencher, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, I will do my best to help answer your General Motors Vehicle questions.

2 questions for you.

Are 100% sure the ignition timing is right?

Are the valves adjusted correctly?

I am about 98% on the timing part. I did have it retarded a bit for the first 200 miles until I was sure that the rings were seated, and then advanced the timing by the book. The whole thing with unplugging the bown lead, etc.

I have been considering resetting the valve adjustment. Everything being new, I want to make sure that the lifter's plungers are about half way down the bore. There is about 250 miles on the rebuild.

You can be elaborate with the questions and answers as you'd like. I also am an ASE Master, I have just been staring at this thing so darn long everything is starting to look normal.

What is your timing set to?

If you have the lifters set 1/2 way down the bore during adjustment your too tight.

I had to learn the hard way myself. Did you follow a manual to set your valve lash?

6 btdc, unplugged.

as far as the lifter bore, I have done that to most of my street engines (daily drivers) if I have one of those that gets romped on a little bit now and then, I go to zero lash then 1/8 turn. I will admit though, this is my first roller cam engine. Most of what I have built in the past doesn't even have an egr valve, and I have to convert to electronic ignition. Maybe I have too much old school in me.

Sounds like timing is low enough not to cause an issue. I personally use 1/4 to 1/2 a turn from (90-180 degrees) from 0 lash for all my lifters. Did you happen to put a hot cam in it?

Have you tried pulling the egr vacuum?. I could see if you have too much egr flow it may cause an issue at light throttle maintained rpms.

The cam is stock. Being a convertable, I didn't want to hop it up...it just tears up the frame to the point that the doors will no longer line up. I haven't tried the egr thing yet. It is new, but that means nothing. I will give that a shot this weekend.

I'm still betting on the valves...

if the egr thing doesn't work, I will re-adjust the valves. The rings are seated and the compression is good...so it won't be like I am wasting my time doing it. It would also be a good time to make sure that all my lifters have pretty much the same tension on them anyway. Sometimes I have found in the past that new lifters don't always mean good lifters.
Thats true. How do you adjust lifters? One cylinder at a time or multiple with 2 engine revolutions.
multiple. Do a set on #1 TDC, then go to #6 TDC and do the rest.

Yes thats generally it. Set the determined valves wether it be intake or exhaust, as outlined in the service manual.

Edited by GMWrencher on 6/29/2010 at 12:22 PM EST