Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

in january I replaced both front wheel speed sensors...abs..bare metal…

Customer Question
In January I replaced both...
In January I replaced both front wheel speed sensors. The ABS had been deploying and the carguyjosh from Just Answer had given me the info that this was the issue. I cleaned the housing down to the bare metal as suggested before putting the new sensors in. This corrected the issue and everything was fine. About three weeks ago the ABS started deploying again. Could this be the same thing again? Could the replacement parts be faulty in that short amount of time? I installed Borg Warner parts which are generally reliable. Is there something else that could be affecting this? Possibly the wheeling bearings themselves? If I have to replace them again that's ok (like maybe I didn't get them as clean as I thought or the Buffalo winter got to them) but I don't want to be chasing my tail and have this keep happening. The sensors aren't cheap either, $70 each.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chevy
6/26/2010
Chevy Mechanic: Tim West, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Thanks for visiting Just Answer,
Can you check the resistance of the front speed sensors? Compare them with each other. If they are the same, they are good. If one is different than the other there is a problem.
These parts might still have warranty at the parts store.
What kind of vehicle is this? When the ABS light is on a code is stored inside the module. Do you have a scan tool that is capable of communicating with the ABS module?

It's a 2005 Avalanche. The ABS light is not on. I have a OBDII scanner but from what I understand it won't read ABS or Air Bag System codes. I think the only way I can check the resistance is if I take the sensor out and from what I saw the first time I replaced them that damages them. Is there a way taht I can check the resistance without taking them out?

Oh there is a false ABS activation?
Yes.
Click here

You should be able to test the resistance without taking anything off.
Alright, but if they're not equal which one is good and which one is bad? And, then I'm still going to replace the bad one, correct?
700-10,000 ohms of resistance,.
???Your not really answering my questions. 700-10,000 ohms is a big range and what does that mean? It is good, it is bad, what?
Sorry, I will opt out so another expert can assist.
Relist: Incomplete answer.