Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2500 Chevy suburban: vortec..running fine I stoped..reconnected…

I have a 1997 K-2500...
I have a 1997 K-2500 Chevy suburban with a 5.7 350 vortec engine It was running fine I stoped and picked up my grandson came out and turned the key and nothing found ignition fuse B 40 amp blown. Disconnected battery replaced fuse reconnected battery turned key and same thing fuse blown. Any idea's?
6/26/2010
GMWrencher
GMWrencher, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, I will do my best to help answer your General Motors Vehicle questions.

According to my schematics Ign MAXI Fuse B should be a 50 amp. Are you sure of your location and fuse?

Actually it is 40 amp but it is the (A) fuse, you are correct the (b) fuse is a 50 Amp.
So its the A fuse that is blowing? When does it blow? As soon as you install it? As soon as you turn the key to on? Or to crank?
When you turn the key, but you can put the fuse in and it does not blow. You can turn the key to just before cranking and it does not blow. As soon you go to crank it blows.

Does it crank then start and run, blow and stall? Is that the order?

No it will not crank it blows just as you turn the key.

From my GM schematic this is the only 40 amp fuse in the maxi box. Is that correct.? The problem I have is, your label does not match the GM schematic. You have letters I have numbers, but that is common with GM, and I have learned to work around this.

Yes it is the only 40 amp in the box.

This fuse supplies circuits 242 and 342. They run directly from the fuse block to the ignition switch inside the column. If it is only blowing when you turn to crank, then it is a short in the crank circuit from you ignition switch out to the under hood fuse block. The most like place to have an issue is under the steering column, look for a large yellow wire from your ignition switch electrical portion. It may have rubbed on your dash metal causing a short to ground. Somewhat common on vehicle that may have had service in that area before. Do you happen to have any type of remote start or alarm system,? If so this could be a direct cause also.

Rememebr I dont receive credit for this answer unless you shoose Accept. I will continue to work to answer your initial question.

Edited by GMWrencher on 6/26/2010 at 2:35 PM EST

I don't have anything like that, no remote start or alarm system. I did replace the stereo and I will check the wires behind it. I always use crutchfield so I don't have to cut the factoy wires, also all connections fro the stereo to the new plug are soldered and I use shrink wrap. I am a Firefighter and at work today so it wont be till tommorrow morning that I will be able to look at everything you suggested. I hope it will be that easy. Will I be able to see for sure if it shorting out due to some burn marks or will I have to use a meter?

Also would you happen to be able to send a schematic of that wiring

that you could E-mail me?
I will try to photocopy it for you.
Thanks and I will let you know tommorow if that is what it was and will accept answer if that is ok with you?

Here you go. Thanks You should get to the bottom of your problem with these. Just remember I will continue to help you even after you choose Accept.

graphicgraphicgraphic

Edited by GMWrencher on 6/26/2010 at 3:08 PM EST
One more thing it is only circuit 242 that is effected by the 40 amp MAXI Fuse. I mislabeled earlier including 342.
Ok thank you like I said I will let you know tomorrow.
I know I was just correcting my post. A couple more things it could be, check your wires going to the starter, and be sure your starter shield isn't touching any of the starter wires. Also be sure your wiring hasn't touched the exhaust. This is where I would start. Pull your starter relay and see if it blows the fuse when you turn to crank. If not its on the engine side.

Edited by GMWrencher on 6/26/2010 at 3:14 PM EST

Ok, thanks again.

Let me know. Ill help if I can.

GMWrencher
GMWrencher, ASE Certified Technician
Well any news on your fuse problem?
GMWrencher you are the man! It ended up being the top wire on the starter. So I cut it soldered a new piece in shrink wraped it , put that plastic wire protection tubing on it then used a type of duct tape over that. Put in the new fuse and all is back to normal. Thank you for all your help!!!!

Thanks for the accept and thank for the bonus. I do appreciate it. I am glad you fixed your ride. Keep me in mind the next time you need help. Ill do my best to get you the information you need. Imagine how much money you saved pressing a few keys...

Edited by GMWrencher on 6/27/2010 at 8:48 PM EST