Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2002 suburban: Low beams..high beams..steering column..the tilt lever…

Customer Question
2002 suburban, how do I...
2002 suburban, how do I replace my turn signal switch? Low beams do not work, high beams do. I cannot seem to get the steering column cover off, seems like the tilt lever is in the way. Do I need to remove the whole steering wheel to do this? Hopefully not.

thanks
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chevy
6/25/2010
Chevy Mechanic: Tim West, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician

MULTIFUNCTION, TURN SIGNAL SWITCH REPLACEMENT

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

1. Disable the SIR system. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling Zone 3 in Restraint Systems. CAUTION: Refer to SIR Caution in Service Precautions.
  2. Remove the upper and lower trim covers.
  3. Remove the wire harness assembly (1) from the wire harness strap (2). IMPORTANT: The abrasion sleeve located on the steering column wire harness assembly must be reinstalled. Make note of what connector is coming out of the abrasion sleeve for installation purposes.
  4. Disconnect the turn signal and multifunction switch assembly connector from the SIR system coil connector.

1. Slide the 2 connectors (2) of the turn signal and multifunction switch assembly out of the bulkhead connector (1).

1. Remove the 2 pan head tapping screws (1) and (3) from the turn signal and multifunction switch assembly (2).
  2. Remove the turn signal and multifunction switch assembly (2) from the steering column tilt head assembly.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. Install the turn signal and multifunction switch assembly (2) onto the steering column tilt head assembly.
  2. Screw the 2 pan head tapping screws (1) and (3) into the turn signal and multifunction assembly (2). NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions. IMPORTANT: Be sure that the electrical contact of the turn signal and multifunction switch assembly (2) rests on the turn signal cancel cam assembly. Tighten
    • Tighten the top pan head tapping screw (1) to 3 N.m (30 lb in).
    • Tighten the side pan head tapping screw (3) to 7 N.m (62 lb in).

1. Slide the 2 connectors (2) of the turn signal and multifunction switch assembly into the bulkhead connector (1).

1. Connect the turn signal and multifunction switch assembly connector to the SIR coil connector.
  2. Install the wire harness assembly (1) into the wire harness strap (2). IMPORTANT: The abrasion sleeve must be installed back onto the steering column wire harness assembly. The ignition lock cylinder case wires and connector must be hanging out of the middle of the abrasion sleeve.
  3. Install the upper and lower trim covers.
  4. Enable the SIR system. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling Zone 3 in Restraint Systems.
Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
so, judgung by what this says, i do indeed need to remove the steering wheel itslef in order to remove the upper trim cover??
No, the picture just shows with the steering wheel removed for an easier view.
OK, and the picture helps, but I still don't understand how to remove the upper (dont think the lower needs to be removed) trim cover. It seems as if the tilt lever is preventing me from doing this. Do I need to first remove the tilt lever, and if so, how do I do that?
looking at the steering wheel cover, do you see screws you can remove from the bottom?
unfortunately I am at work and it is at home and honestly don't remember. do you know how many total screws need to come out in order to remove the trim cover? this way I can make sure I am not missing any. Then can I check tonight and reply then?
You can check again tonight and get back to me. I will find out in the meantime exactly how many screws you should be pulling out. I will talk to you tonight. I should be online.
thanks for everything!!
<p>I got it. the problem I was having was getting the tilt lever off and out of the way. It was in there tight and din't feel like it could just be pulled off. I got mad enough and got it off.  so I am good to go now, thanks for your help.</p><p>Once I get the new one installed, i will close this out and pay.  just want to leave it open until I know I don't have any more questions if that is ok with you.</p><p> </p><p><br />thanks</p>
Thats great, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX be here.
Tim, I am good to go, thanks for all the help!
Sweet, glad I could help. Come back next time you need help!