Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2003 chevy: duramax diesel..stick in 4-wheel drive but my buttons…

Customer Question
i have a 2003 chevy...
i have a 2003 chevy duramax diesel 2500 HD. MyXXXXXis stick in 4-wheel drive but my buttons on the side panel it says its inXXXXXand is telling me to service my 4-wheel drive every day. if you could also let me know how to change it and what the cost my be thanks and if i could get a fone number to call cause i am not always by a computer that would be great thank you
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chevy
6/25/2010
Chevy Mechanic: Ken, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Ken
Ken, ASE Certified Technician

HI and thanks for your question! You will need to have the computer checked for fault codes. This sounds like you have a bad encoder sensor. This sensor tells the computer what gear the transfer case is in. I replace 3 or 4 of these a month. There are other faults that can happen but the encoder sensor is the most common. Ken

The Service 4WD indicator is an integral part of the cluster and cannot be serviced separately. This lamp is used to inform the driver of the vehicle that a transfer case system malfunctioned. The Service 4WD indicator is controlled by the transfer case shift control module via Class 2.

Transfer Case Encoder

The encoder is mounted to the transfer case motor/encoder assembly and is replaced as an assembly. The encoder converts the shift detent lever shaft position, representing a mode or range, into an electrical signal input to the transfer case shift control module. The module detects what position the transfer case is in by monitoring the voltage returned on the encoder signal circuit. This voltage translates into AUTO 4WD, 2HI, 4HI, NEUTRAL, and 4LO or in transition between gears.

Transfer Case Motor/Encoder

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

The transfer case motor/encoder consists of a permanent magnet DC motor and gear reduction assembly. It is located on the left hand side, driver's side, of the transfer case. When activated, it turns the shift detent lever shaft of the transfer case, clockwise or counterclockwise, to shift the transfer case. The motor/encoder is controlled with a PWM signal by the transfer case shift control module. This circuit consists of a driver on both the Motor A and Motor B circuits. The encoder motor is bi-directional in order to allow the motor to shift the transfer case from 2HI or 4HI to NEUTRAL and 4LO positions.

Transfer Case Motor Lock

The transfer case motor lock is used to provide a 2HI, 4HI, and 4LO lock-up feature. When the lock circuit is energized, the transfer case encoder motor is allowed to turn. When the transfer case is placed 2HI, 4HI, or 4LO the motor lock circuit is de-energized and the lock is applied. This assures that the transfer case remains in the current gear position until a new gear position is requested. When AUTO 4WD is selected, the motor lock remains applied until an adaptive mode, torque being applied to the front propshaft, is required. During an adaptive mode the motor lock circuit is energized and the motor lock is released, enabling the encoder motor to turn and apply or release torque at the front propshaft.

so would i be able to change the sensor my self or take it to a body shop and have them do it and what do u think the cost would be for the sensor?

#1 Find some one to scan the computer and get the fault code. call your local parts stores, most of them in my town are scanning computers for free or a small fee. They want to sell you a part.

#2 if the code is a C0327 then have the encoder motor sensor replaced. You will need to put this up on a rack to get to the sensor. then you have to open the shifter motor and replace the sensor. Call around a find the best price.

If it is not a co327 then have the problem diagnosed. Guessing will cost you more money in the long run.

Ken