Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

ls: 4.8 2wd- My truck starts to overheat..parked..radiator..leaks…

Customer Question
2003 silverado LS 4.8 2wd-...
2003 silverado LS 4.8 2wd- My truck starts to overheat in traffic or when parked with a/c on. When a/c is off temp is normal. I 've had the radiator flushed,thermostat replaced,cluth fan replaced,and a/c system vac checked for leaks and recharged. Nobody seems to know whats wrong! Thanks in advance for any help!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chevy
6/25/2010
Chevy Mechanic: Jettadan1, Chevy Technician replied 8 years ago
Jettadan1
Jettadan1, Chevy Technician
Make sure the themosate is good. I alway's test them before I put them in. Then replace the water pump if the coolant temp switch is ok.
Daniel,the water pump has been replaced recently. How can i tell if the coolant temp switch is ok and where is it located on this truck?

I had an after thought of the ac compressor dragging???? I think the sensor is on the radiator it could be on the block also. My site isnt giving me a location. but I did do a bit of extra checking and found trouble shooting and it has a couple other intersts on there.

http://www.mediafire.com/?0ewlwcqvk2q Open pdf

Are there any tests to perform to tell if the a/c compressor is dragging? Also how can i ck that coolant temp switch? I've spent alot already just trouble shooting and i was hoping to find out if anyone has had this problem already,so that i can have an exact fix. I don't mind paying for the info just need something more concrete. Thanks

the radiator flush may not have done in it. you may need a new radiator. Or the block may have blockage. to test the themp sensor you could use boiling water and put the temp sensor in. then use a cooking thermometer and turn the key to the on position. and see if they are both the same. take

You have a problem with your radiator. When you turn on the AC, the condersor heats up to about 170 to 180 degrees, the ait passes thru the condensor before it goes to the radiator, so you are trying to cool the engine off with 170 degree heat. with the AC off, you are using outside air temp to cool it off. Look to see if the radiator is plugged either externaly or internally, a radiator shop will be able to check this for you

Jettadan1
Jettadan1, Chevy Technician
Daniel, thanks for your help. I fixed my truck this morning. Theres a gap between the condesor and radiator that you cant see inside of without taking the top plastic covers off. From the outside the fins appeared clean,but in that gap it was awfully clogged! The fan couldn't even suck air thru. I took it apart cleaned tranny,condensor,and radiator fins with mild acid and it looks and works like NEW! Drove all day and it worked perfect. Im sending you payment now for your help. Thanks again for trying.............
Your very welcome. So it was an external clogg or the radiator. Great Job