Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

1999 Chevrolet: fires but not start while the tac gauge fluctuates…

Customer Question
I have a 1999 Chevrolet...
I have a 1999 Chevrolet that turn over and partially fires but not start while the tac gauge fluctuates wildly

Any idea what is wrong
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chevy
6/25/2010
Chevy Mechanic: Dan, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Hello JA Customer,

There is a lot of things that can prevent it from starting. Loss of fuel pressure is a common thing. You need a fuel pressure guage to check if you are getting the correct fuel pressure. You can spray a little starting fluid or some carburetor spray in the throttle body to see if it will start with that. That will help steer us in the right direction.
A map code shouldn't keep it from starting. It will if a MAF code is set also. May want to disconnect the battery for a few minutes and see if that changes anything.
When did this car die? Did it just not start one morning or did it die on the road?
It was running and started missing at freeway speeds. The progressively got worse. That was when I replaced the spark plugs I was able to start it once with very rough idle then never again

While a fuel problem is possible What I thought was strange was the rapidly changing tac reading. I have the factory service manuals and the tac gets its input from the PCM. I did not know if one of the sensors could cause both problems

I see that there is a Crankshaft Position sensor, and Crankshaft Position and Cam Shaft Position sensors. I did not know if one of them was malfunctioning if this could keep the car from running and make the tac swing wildly from extreams. There are no error codes but perhaps since it will not run maybe they will not set.

I see that there is a Crankshaft Position sensor, and Crankshaft Position and Cam Shaft Position sensors. I did not know if one of them was malfunctioning if this could keep the car from running and make the tac swing wildly from extremes. There are no error codes but perhaps since it will not run maybe they will not set.
Are you sure you got the plug wire routed to the correct cylinder?
Yes I have double and checked

will it try to run on starting fluid or carb cleaner sprayed into the intake?
I did some of my own investigation and discovered that the Ignition Relay was "Chattering" The relay coil voltage was low due to a bad ground located at the transmission case ground point.

Once corrected the car started and the tac fluctuation stopped

Thanks for trying to help me

Bob
Glad you got it fixed bob and thanks for trying us.