Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2001 Chevy Lumina: 000 miles..control knob..fan speed..defrost…

Customer Question
I have a 2001 Chevy...
I have a 2001 Chevy Lumina with 103,000 miles. (im not sure if these are directly related) At first, the air vent control knob didn't register or work. The fan speed did, but it was stuck on defrost for a month or two. Out of nowhere, the selector started working again, but now the A/C won't kick on. The compressor doesn't even catch or anything, nothing at all just warm air. Ive checked the belt it seems fine and i didn't see a fuse in the box or anything. Ive been told to test the low pressure switch, but i dont know where thats located. How would i test the pressure of the system if the switch has power or it doesn't, then what? Thanks!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chevy
6/24/2010
Chevy Mechanic: Chevy expert, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Chevy expert
Chevy expert, ASE Certified Technician

Welcome to just answer.com. I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal.

On the air conditioning let's start with the basics , we need to see what the pressure is in the system , most commonly the air conditioning compressor does not run because there's a small leak and the refrigerant pressure gets too low for the system to turn on

So the compressor won't kick on if the levels too low. Should I go get a basic recharge kit? Or how should I know the level?
You can either by a basic a recharge kit from Wal-Mart were auto zone if you would like to do it yourself or just go to a qualified repair shop and have them checked the pressures on the system
I could have a leak, a lot of snow got packed in my front end this winter. Last year my A/C worked perfectly. Are there any fuses or relays I could look at? And why would the control knob not work then come back? Could they be related?
No the control knob problem is most likely a problem with the control head itself , the snow getting attacked in the front may or may not have caused a leak in the air conditioning . What I would do is turn the air conditioning on and unplug the low pressure cut off switch using a test light and see if you have power on one side of the switch connector
Ok, where would that switch be? If I have power I probably have a leak. Would i want to try to recharge it then? If I dont have power then what? Any other tests or anything I could run in my driveway? If I have power there Im more of an older car guy and dont't deal with A/C much. Trying to get a grasp and keep it out of the shop.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
To general. The first replies said something about going to the shop. I dont want to go to the shop thats why im on here,
Your best bet if you want to try something yourself is to run down all of a zone and by a recharge kit for the air conditioning and tell me what the pressure is on the low side with the engine turned off this where we can determine if you truly have a leak are not